GTX 1050 TI Gaming x with 6 pin HELP!?

oliver420

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
I bought a GTX 1050 ti from msi and it needs a 6 pin. My current PSU doesnt have one. do i need to under clock because i see nothing when i boot and the fans dont spin. thanks if you can help me.

also does an adapter such as sata to 6 pin work for me?

Solution

Actually, people use molex to 6-pin adapters all the time. Some graphics cards even ship with one in the box. Considering that a GTX 1050ti's power requirements are rather low, and it gets much of its power through the PCIe slot, a molex adapter wouldn't likely pose a problem, assuming you're not on some sub-300 watt PSU.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you need to get a power supply that has a 6-pin, or return it for one that doesnt need it

it is mandatory you must populate it

and no, if your power supply lacks a 6-pin using adapters could result in very bad things

oliver420

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

Ahh that really sucks I guess I'll return it or get a new PSU

Actually, people use molex to 6-pin adapters all the time. Some graphics cards even ship with one in the box. Considering that a GTX 1050ti's power requirements are rather low, and it gets much of its power through the PCIe slot, a molex adapter wouldn't likely pose a problem, assuming you're not on some sub-300 watt PSU.

Solution

oliver420

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

Yes, my power supply is 320w, but I was wondering what a molex adapter plugs into? Thanks

frostedtim

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014

Molex connectors are a four pin plug that used to be used on Hard Drives and Optical Drives before the SATA power connector became standard. You might actually have a couple in your rig. But as you stated, you have a 320W PSU, which may not have the extra connectors you need. OEM PSU's like the ones that typically come in Dell prebuilt rigs will have stuff like that. This is where I might recommend getting a new power supply instead of going with an adapter. Even a cheap Antec Earth Watts 400-500W model should cover your needs. Shop around and you should find them for around $50 US or less.

A 320 watt PSU is definitely a bit low, but a 1050ti isn't likely to draw much more than 70 watts at load, so it would probably be okay. Typically, you would use something like one of these...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200106

...which plugs into two 4-pin molex connectors which each look like this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector#/media/File:Molex_female_connector.jpg

However, it is possible that your power supply might not have spare molex connectors either, since some pre-built systems only include power supplies with enough connectors for the components they ship with.

oliver420

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

thanks for the help!