Question GTX 1050 Ti high idle power consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

andromedaftw

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
I've been trying to search in google for too long and i can't find a solution for this. My 1050 ti idles at 35W even with reinstalling windows, updating drivers and no applications. The tdp of my card is 75W so it almost idles at 50% of it's power. I saw some in the forums that their gtx 1060 only idles at 11W and even RTX 2080 idles ranging from 10-20W, is there any fix for this? I know the difference is just low but i'm trying to run my pc as efficient as possible as electricity rate in my country is high. Thank you

I've been trying to search in google for too long and i can't find a solution for this. My 1050 ti idles at 35W even with reinstalling windows, updating drivers and no applications. The tdp of my card is 75W so it almost idles at 50% of it's power. I saw some in the forums that their gtx 1060 only idles at 11W and even RTX 2080 idles ranging from 10-20W, is there any fix for this? I know the difference is just low but i'm trying to run my pc as efficient as possible as electricity rate in my country is high. Thank you
What application are you using to display the power consumption of your gpu?

Sometimes softwares provide misinformation. I'd suggest for you to get a multimeter and measure the power consumption yourself as thats a more bulletproof way of knowing the real value and whether or not it actually pulls 35W idle.

andromedaftw

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
What application are you using to display the power consumption of your gpu?

Sometimes softwares provide misinformation. I'd suggest for you to get a multimeter and measure the power consumption yourself as thats a more bulletproof way of knowing the real value and whether or not it actually pulls 35W idle.
I use hwinfo and gpu-z both says that its under 34-36W. I thought it's normal at first until i saw some of the forums when their more powerful cards are idling at very low power.
Here's the pic: View: https://imgur.com/a/z3EPmIY

I use hwinfo and gpu-z both says that its under 34-36W. I thought it's normal at first until i saw some of the forums when their more powerful cards are idling at very low power.
Here's the pic: View: https://imgur.com/a/z3EPmIY

Indeed it is a very high idle power consumption. I have a Vega 56 which pulls 5-7W at idle.
Have you tried decreasing your power limit in msi afterburner to see if that impacts the numbers?

Check it with a multimeter to be sure-

andromedaftw

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Indeed it is a very high idle power consumption. I have a Vega 56 which pulls 5-7W at idle.
Have you tried decreasing your power limit in msi afterburner to see if that impacts the numbers?

Check it with a multimeter to be sure-
I don't have a multimeter sadly. Btw, my bad. My googling is <Mod Edit>. I searched and found some old forum who has the same issue at me using 1050 ti. Only one of them i believe tested it with kill-a-watt and confirmed it idles at only 7.5W. Still, that 35W bothers me considering that many years had passed and nvidia still hasnt fixed the error if it was

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you changing anything in the Nvidia Control Panel for power settings? Setting Prefer Maximum power in the global settings tab of Manage 3D will force the GPU to use more power running idle programs like Battle.net or other GPU accelerated desktop programs.

andromedaftw

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Are you changing anything in the Nvidia Control Panel for power settings? Setting Prefer Maximum power in the global settings tab of Manage 3D will force the GPU to use more power running idle programs like Battle.net or other GPU accelerated desktop programs.
Nope, it's set on optimal power, i even tried adaptive but still the same. I'm thinking if it's a bug in the sensor/driver? The fans are not running since my card has 0db mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.