GTX 1050 Ti + i3 3240 - How bad is the bottleneck?

Solution
Good luck with finding a Z77 mobo that's worth the price now. Apart from being highly sought after by indo-asian markets, most of the mobo's from that Era have suffered either cap failure and been junked, trashed by bad oc/cheap psus or blown up by users doing stupid stuff like balancing their coffee mug on top of the pc. Replacing a mobo now with a cpu upgrade from lga1155 just so as to save on ram costs is pointless. Average cost of $150 for a 3770k and pretty much the same for a good Z77 with a questionable lifetime, vrs $180 for an i5-8400 and $80 for a b360 is in my book a no brainer.
Don't worry about a bottleneck. The important thing is the 1050 Ti will make GTA V run well, and your CPU with 4 threads won't hurt performance enough to make a difference. Exact framerate is impossible to guess due to all the variables, like the settings you use. You should certainly be able to play it smoothly though.

edit: I hope you have 8gb system ram

eprx123

Reputable
Jul 7, 2018

yes i do have 8 gb ram

eprx123

Reputable
Jul 7, 2018

so is that good or bad?

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
so is that good or bad?
It's not bad. It's not good either. GTA or any other open world / FPS game uses the CPU heavily. I advise you find a used i5 3570/3470. Take a look at i7 counterpart too. Should be cheap considering it's age.

If you max your CPU usage while gaming (task manager), you'll know you need an upgrade.

eprx123

Reputable
Jul 7, 2018

can you change a CPU without buying a whole new system? sorry, im a noob :??:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Actually any of the Ivy's used are still relatively expensive due to supply and demand. For a i7-3770/k you are looking at roughly $100-$150 on ebay. Often times, the cheapest solution is shop around flea-markets and garage sales etc, look specifically for the cpu, (actual pc doesn't matter) swap it for your i3, then donate the entire thing to goodwill and get a receipt for tax purposes. Everybody wins. You get the i7 and a tax donation cheap, goodwill gets a pc, and the original seller makes a few $.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
can you change a CPU without buying a whole new system?
Yes you can. You can use any Intel CPU that starts with i_ 3xxx. (LGA1155)
If you go higher than that, you will need to change the motherboard, not the whole system. Unless you go really new and reach DDR4 rams.
i5-3570 ebay
i7 3770 ebay

Get the K series (3770K, 3570K) if you have a Z75/Z77 motherboard and want to overclock in the future.
For a i7-3770/k you are looking at roughly $100-$150 on ebay.
That's less than half the price. I consider that cheap.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Good luck with finding a Z77 mobo that's worth the price now. Apart from being highly sought after by indo-asian markets, most of the mobo's from that Era have suffered either cap failure and been junked, trashed by bad oc/cheap psus or blown up by users doing stupid stuff like balancing their coffee mug on top of the pc. Replacing a mobo now with a cpu upgrade from lga1155 just so as to save on ram costs is pointless. Average cost of $150 for a 3770k and pretty much the same for a good Z77 with a questionable lifetime, vrs $180 for an i5-8400 and $80 for a b360 is in my book a no brainer.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS