[SOLVED] GTX 1050 ti is giving incredibly low fps

Sep 19, 2019
I have just replaced the GTX 650 ti in my system with a GTX 1050 ti, only for the fps to drop drastically in all games I try. For example, in Boderlands 2 on High settings I got 40-60 fps on the 650 but only 30 on the 1050. I ran userbenchmark and the GTX 1050 ti only scored 7.6%. Any ideas, help, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are the links from the benchmark
UserBenchmarks: Game 17%, Desk 53%, Work 30%
CPU: Intel Core i3-8100 - 69.2%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti - 7.6%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 75.9%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 73.3%
HDD: Seagate ST380013AS 80GB - 26.4%
RAM: Unknown 2666 C16 Series 1x8GB - 41.4%
MBD: MSI Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48)

Solution
1)You HAVE to fix that single stick of ram config. That is not ideal for gaming oriented setups.
All adding a stronger card will do is further emphasize the cpu limitation caused by the single stick config. Now, a new 2x 8GB kit would be good - sell the single stick. If you consider just adding another stick, well...
-Ram is only guaranteed to work as sold
-Different kits of the same brand and the same specs can still fail - this combination simply has the highest compatibility rate
-The symptoms do not always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering, BSODs.

2)And the crux of the problem... be careful who/where you buy from.
You bought a fake 1050Ti. The subsystem ID next to the card leads to a custom vbios...
Completely different architecture and driver framework. You need to do a clean install of the Nvidia drivers using the DDU and start fresh.

Sep 19, 2019
I did that. Restarted in safe mode, used DDU to uninstall the old drivers before swapping the cards out and installing the latest driver for the 1050ti, which is 436.30. This caused error 43 no matter how many times I reinstalled, and I had to go back to 385.28 to even get the card working at all. All of the more recent drivers either give error 43 or blue screen my pc when I try to install them.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)You HAVE to fix that single stick of ram config. That is not ideal for gaming oriented setups.
All adding a stronger card will do is further emphasize the cpu limitation caused by the single stick config. Now, a new 2x 8GB kit would be good - sell the single stick. If you consider just adding another stick, well...
-Ram is only guaranteed to work as sold
-Different kits of the same brand and the same specs can still fail - this combination simply has the highest compatibility rate
-The symptoms do not always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering, BSODs.

2)And the crux of the problem... be careful who/where you buy from.
You bought a fake 1050Ti. The subsystem ID next to the card leads to a custom vbios.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/198509/198509 - the specs of the vbios in question. [Look at core clock and memory clock]
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1050-ti.c2885 - the specs of the actual 1050Ti. [core clock and memory clock]

See here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/198351/nvidia-gtx1050ti-4096-170620
At the bottom, it says: "Fake card. Actually based on GTS 450."

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 19, 2019
I was worried that might be the case with the GPU, just don't have the know-how to determine it myself. Thanks for confirming that for me. In terms of the RAM I know multiple sticks would be ideal but aren't really in the financial situation to buy better ones. The only reason I bought the new GPU was because it was cheap. Guess sometimes it really is too good to be true. Thanks for your assistance, I'll have to go back to my old card until I find a replacement