[SOLVED] GTX 1050 Ti Storm wont run when plugged in

Apr 3, 2021
Had this PC running last 2 days ago with the GPU
but suddenly it wont start whenever the GPU is plugged.

When I do remove the GPU and do a CMOS reset the PC runs fine with its on board graphics system.

It then wont start when I plug the GPU back in.

Things I have done:

-Plug the GPU then do a CMOS= X

-Plug the GPU removing the CMOS and RAM then
start = X

-Plug back in the CMOS and RAM = X

I have tested the PSU and it runs okay even when I do the paper clip test on it so im running out of what could possibly be the culprit as to why it wont turn on when the GPU is plugged in.

Any help would be appreciated as I have had no luck in trying to figure out the cause of it.

Solution

When I do remove the GPU and do a CMOS reset the PC runs fine with its on board graphics system.

Things I have done:

start = X

I have tested the PSU and it runs okay even when I do the paper clip test on it so im running out of what could possibly be the culprit as to why it wont turn on when the GPU is plugged in.

Any help would be appreciated as I have had no luck in trying to figure out the cause of it.
Is the card used or brand new? Cause if its used it...

Dravenzo

Honorable
Apr 10, 2015

Things I have done:

start = X

Is the card used or brand new? Cause if its used it might be worth checking the inside of the card and see how the thermal paste is doing. Had similar issue where my card would turn on and restart or not even turn on because the thermal paste dried out completely. I swapped the new thermal paste and it worked fine. Most likely this won't fix it but there is a possibility of that.

The problem you are experiencing most likely is within all the answers above, your PSU is really bad, it could faulty cable that you connect to the GPU it could be something faulty inside of the PSU itself.
The PSU is the most important part of the PC therefore I would recommend to invest in a brand new PSU minimum gold tier rated (for example: https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...ply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020180-UK) Ignore the watts in this as 850 will be overkill for your system, but if you are going to upgrade your GPU in the future I would recommend buying higher Watt PSU so you can power up the card especially the RTX 30 series.

Best of Luck

Reactions: Strausser
Solution
Apr 3, 2021
Is the card used or brand new? Cause if its used it might be worth checking the inside of the card and see how the thermal paste is doing. Had similar issue where my card would turn on and restart or not even turn on because the thermal paste dried out completely. I swapped the new thermal paste and it worked fine. Most likely this won't fix it but there is a possibility of that.

The problem you are experiencing most likely is within all the answers above, your PSU is really bad, it could faulty cable that you connect to the GPU it could be something faulty inside of the PSU itself.
The PSU is the most important part of the PC therefore I would recommend to invest in a brand new PSU minimum gold tier rated (for example: https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...ply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020180-UK) Ignore the watts in this as 850 will be overkill for your system, but if you are going to upgrade your GPU in the future I would recommend buying higher Watt PSU so you can power up the card especially the RTX 30 series.

Best of Luck

Funny enough out of frustration I took all the essentials outside the case and put them in a table and used a flat head to open it manually and it opened.
Had the biggest sigh of relief but the problem now is that when I put it back in the tower it has the same problem again of not turning on.
I am just at a big loss on how a tower can prevent a PC to turn on now.

Apr 3, 2021
An interesting thing happened, it would seem that the problem was not in any of the components but rather one of the standoffs is unstable whenever I mount the GPU.
Due to that the MOBO is touching the backplate of the tower hence it does not open.
I bought some new standoffs and stabilized the MOBO and it worked liked a charm!
Thank you to everyone who tried helping me trouble shoot this problem!