[SOLVED] gtx 1050 ti support 240hz?

Oct 11, 2021
so um, idk if the gtx 1050 ti supports and runs a 240hz monitor properly. I have a i7 6700 with it too. Do you think the two would run a monitor at 240hz properly? Regardless of the FPS ingame.

Solution
Ultra high refresh games are almost entirely cpu single thread bound.
If this is about eSports titles like Rocket League or CSGO, you're going to be dropping most of the eye candy to maximize fps lows - by doing that, you dump all the work on the cpu.
The gpu doesn't play that big a role here.

I say, the 1050Ti is fine depending on what the game is. It's the cpu that may need upgrading if you want to push higher fps lows.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ultra high refresh games are almost entirely cpu single thread bound.
If this is about eSports titles like Rocket League or CSGO, you're going to be dropping most of the eye candy to maximize fps lows - by doing that, you dump all the work on the cpu.
The gpu doesn't play that big a role here.

I say, the 1050Ti is fine depending on what the game is. It's the cpu that may need upgrading if you want to push higher fps lows.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
There isn't much of a point in running a ridiculously high refresh rate on a CPU and GPU that cannot push much more than about 100fps in most lightweight games, all you do is waste the GPU's relatively low memory bandwidth on unnecessary refreshing.

If your monitor supports variable refresh as most modern 120+Hz monitors do, enable and use that instead.

Oct 11, 2021
There isn't much of a point in running a ridiculously high refresh rate on a CPU and GPU that cannot push much more than about 100fps in most lightweight games, all you do is waste the GPU's relatively low memory bandwidth on unnecessary refreshing.

If your monitor supports variable refresh as most modern 120+Hz monitors do, enable and use that instead.
i play a relatively low demanding game that i usually get 200+ fps in on medium/low settings so that's why im trying to invest into a 240hz monitor

Oct 11, 2021
As the 1050Ti is on the lower end of the performance scale, it is not recommended for 144hz displays. 240hz is way more than it can handle. Just not enough computing horsepower.
im using 165 hz right now with the monitor, to be honest im not seeing any difficulties with it so im looking to invest into a 240hz, the games i play are not demanding at all so do you think it'd be fine?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
im using 165 hz right now with the monitor, to be honest im not seeing any difficulties with it so im looking to invest into a 240hz, the games i play are not demanding at all so do you think it'd be fine?
As noted by others, it is not a matter of compatibility, but of performance. Your GPU won't be able to get full performance from the display. Seems an unnecessary expense.

InvalidError

Titan
I don't play demanding games and usually hit 240hz
Unless you play ultra-competitively, there won't be all that much of a difference between 165Hz and 240Hz.

Another thing you can do after enabling adaptive sync is run triple-buffered. That will let the CPU and GPU run the game at the maximum frame rate they are capable of regardless of monitor refresh rate for the lowest game engine latency your hardware is capable of without having to upgrade your monitor.