GTX 1050 Ti TO VGA? HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

takethelantern

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
Hello techies, I'm having a question yet again. I bought the gtx1050 ti 2 days ago and didnt put it in the pc cause i didnt have the right port on my monitor. So i returned the card and willing to ask what adapter should i use to go with it? i have an lg monitor that only supports VGA port and the 1050 ti supports display port 1.4 hdmi and dvi-d i suppose? so is there any chance for me to get the card and use it?

Solution
I swear I've seen this question asked at least twice a week since the Geforce 10 series was released. What you need is something that will convert the digital output of the graphics card to an analog signal your display will recognize. You can try something like this StarTech Converter and it should work. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade your display to one that natively accepts a digital signal or return your graphics card for one that has a native VGA or DVI-I output (both utilize analog signals).

-Wolf sends

3ogdy

Distinguished
You could use something like this to convert the DVI-D connector on the 1050Ti to VGA

Yes , it should work just fine, but please provide a link to your GPU.
One thing I need to see, though is the following: VGA is analog signal, while DVI is, as the name implies, Digital.
Therefore, you'd need an ACTIVE DVI to VGA adapter, not a simple adapter - I do have simple adapters that work just fine..on old GPUs...if I were you, I'd try with the cheaper passive adapter first as it should work, but if it doesn't, then ....you'd have to spend money on an active adapter. Also, remember that if you ever have any issues with the resolution and things like that....usually the adapter will be the weak link.

I'm an Eyefinty user (3x1) myself and had to cope with switching adapters from time to time, despite them being made by a reputable manufacturer (Sapphire), but that's another thing...what you need is to jsut simply convert digital to analog for your screen so you shouldn't have the issues I've had in the past.

takethelantern

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

is the active port much more expensive? and the 1050 ti uses a dvi-d, does that impact?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I swear I've seen this question asked at least twice a week since the Geforce 10 series was released. What you need is something that will convert the digital output of the graphics card to an analog signal your display will recognize. You can try something like this StarTech Converter and it should work. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade your display to one that natively accepts a digital signal or return your graphics card for one that has a native VGA or DVI-I output (both utilize analog signals).

-Wolf sends

Solution

3ogdy

Distinguished

DVI-D is DIGITAL-ONLY,so no passive adapters for you, then.
You might as well go with something like this, as DVI will most likely disappear in the future, well ahead of HDMI or DP.

It's active and it will need a USB port to get additional power from, mind you.

takethelantern

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

Thanks for the explanation. so if i get a converter like that one I am good to go?

takethelantern

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

I dont mind giving up on an USB port to get additional power, but is this one sure to work with the gtx 1050 ti? im sorry for so many questions im new to graphics cards and installing

Wolfshadw

Titan
There's never a sure thing. These type of devices are always iffy and many give out after working just a short time (if they work at all). You're always better off avoiding adapters/converters, but if it's your only option, what are you going to do? Honestly, I'd upgrade your display and call it a day, but the converters linked here are supposed to work.

-Wolf sends

3ogdy

Distinguished
I'd certainly upgrade the monitor as soon as possible. I was forced to use adapters for Eyefinity to work and it was a pain in the neck every few months...because I'd have to get new adapters...since they just stopped working and the whole image on the screen would flicker like crazy.
The Dell U2515H is like a gift from heaven right now. Native DP!

you see this asked a lot goes to show no one must read any past max FPS in a review or anything well heck. even the reviews tell you all this about no analog support , but yet here we are once again ????

look past the hype and smoke screens and more to the facts and buy a card that supports YOU not like now your having to support the card and its needs

like here for example page 3

''Display connectivity options include a DVI port, three HDMI ports, and a DisplayPort. Unlike previous NVIDIA cards, the DVI port no longer includes an analog signal, so you'll have to use an active adapter. ''

thumbs down page 34

''•DVI output no longer includes analog VGA signals''

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_1050_Ti_G1_Gaming/34.html

3ogdy

Distinguished

While I do agree this is nothing but trickery, still...if we were all to choose a card that supported us...we'd be using hardware from many years ago. Standards change...and with them...so does hardware.
Screw AMD for going from AM2 to AM3. Screw Intel for going from 775 to 1366. Screw DisplayPort, let's stay with VGA! Backwards compatibility is awesome, but there comes a time when VGA (it's nearly 2017 already, for real!) must die.

When was VGA introduced? What was it, 1987? According to my "grammar", that's about 30 years ago.
DVI, the younger brother, is 17 today, HDMI was introduced 12 years ago. DP has been in production for "only" 8 YO.
So, how long should a hardware standard be kept around for people to finally upgrade and move on?

Don't get me wrong, junkeymonkey - like I've already said I'm an Eyefinity user who was forced to buy active DVI->DP adapters every now and then (thank you, Sapphire reliability!) to be able to use 3xscreens that had VGA and DVI only.
After 3 adapters and a lot of frustration, I simply moved on to a DP monitor. Problems are gone.
I do agree sometimes manufacturers are nothing but prostitutes pushing it...forcing us into obsolescence, but ...that's what it is. They call it progress, which in part...it is...but the real drive behind it is money-making, obviously. (if nVidia was yours, you'd do the same if that brought money in, right?)

Wolfshadw

Titan
And I'm going to put a stop to this right here. The topic here was how to connect a VGA monitor to a GTX 1050Ti, not (and I repeat, NOT) the (de)merits of progress and obsolescence. If you two want to continue this discussion, do so in private messages. Any additional comments not directly responding to the OPs questions will be deleted.

Wolfshadw

Status
Not open for further replies.