[SOLVED] GTX 1050ti - DisplayPort to HDMI, would i need active or passive adapter?

Apr 28, 2020
First time posting, so i apologize if theres any mistakes if theres any. And english isnt my primary language, so sorry for possible grammar mistakes.

So i have a Gigabyte GTX1050ti 4GB Windforce OC Edition with 3 output : HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI. And recently im thinking to pick up 2 new monitor (exact same model, LG 22MK600M) which only has HDMI and VGA input.

So the question is, which one is better, to get an DVI to HDMI adapter for the second monitor, or get an DisplayPort to HDMI adapter?

And if DisplayPort is the better way to go, would i need an active adapter or passive adapter?

On side note (maybe this would do any good) : im going to use this dual monitor setup for video editing, but i also do light gaming.

Solution
First time posting, so i apologize if theres any mistakes if theres any. And english isnt my primary language, so sorry for possible grammar mistakes.

So i have a Gigabyte GTX1050ti 4GB Windforce OC Edition with 3 output : HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI. And recently im thinking to pick up 2 new monitor (exact same model, LG 22MK600M) which only has HDMI and VGA input.

So the question is, which one is better, to get an DVI to HDMI adapter for the second monitor, or get an DisplayPort to HDMI adapter?

And if DisplayPort is the better way to go, would i need an active adapter or passive adapter?

On side note (maybe this would do any good) : im going to use this dual monitor setup for video editing, but i also do light gaming.
I...
May 27, 2020
Hi there,

I'm having a similar issue to what you have as my laptop (Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-57WR) which only has a HMDI port and a BenQ Zowie XL2411P 144hz capable monitor. From what I've read from this detailed guide by Glenwing (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/), you'll need an active adapter if your going to do HDMI (source) to DP.

However, the guide also suggests that most of the active adapters on the market tend to be unreliable. If anyone could recommend some decent active adapters please let me know

I think you need a passive adapter, active adapter is only when converting digital signal to analog, and both DP and HDMI are digital signals, so you don't need an active adapter. You will need an active adapter if you want to use the VGA port on the new monitor, though, since VGA is an analog signal, so HDMI or DP to VGA will need an active adapter. For DP to HDMI, passive is what you need.

Solution
Hi there,

I'm having a similar issue to what you have as my laptop (Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-57WR) which only has a HMDI port and a BenQ Zowie XL2411P 144hz capable monitor. From what I've read from this detailed guide by Glenwing (https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/), you'll need an active adapter if your going to do HDMI (source) to DP.

However, the guide also suggests that most of the active adapters on the market tend to be unreliable. If anyone could recommend some decent active adapters please let me know
He is doing DP to HDMI, not HDMI to DP. Like the site says (in bright red text, too), order is important.