[SOLVED] GTX 1050Ti drawing more power than rated.

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
So, to keep it simple; I have a Gigabyte 1050Ti, which I overclocked quite a bit, it's super stable and all, temperatures are all good, but I noticed in HwInfo that it uses up to 78.5 watts, which is 3.5 watts over what the PCI-e slot can deliver, can that be damaging to the slot or the motherboard?

Solution
that depends...mainboard will overheat a bit
Pcie slot limit isnt exactly 75watts, it has max amperage limits, 5.5amper.for 12v rail and 3 ampers for 3.3v rail, which is in total 75.9watts (+-8% for voltage fluctuation)

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I noticed that it doesn't exactly run at 78, rather it has peaked a few times, normally it runs under 70, but sometimes it spikes higher, 78.5 is the highest it has gone.

Should I be worried?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The tolerances aren't that tight. Just like taking three Benadryl instead of two won't really hurt you, neither will going a few watts over the spec.

You shouldn't be surprised, of course. If a GPU is specced to max out at 75W with X clock, it's going to max at more with X + Y% clock.

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
The tolerances aren't that tight. Just like taking three Benadryl instead of two won't really hurt you, neither will going a few watts over the spec.

You shouldn't be surprised, of course. If a GPU is specced to max out at 75W with X clock, it's going to max at more with X + Y% clock.
No, right, I'm definitely not surprised, it is to expect, I just wanted to be sure that it's not gonna damage the mobo or the PSU.

Most definitely yeah, I can run pretty much all the games I play on the highest settings with over 70fps.
I mean, did you do a test before and after?
What was the comparison?

What is your cpu?
What kinds of games do you play?

As to your original question, the thing that destroys electronics is high voltage.
I think you are limiting the lifetime of a very good card which will be hard to replace if it gets damaged. Perhaps back off the OC just a bit?

LauroSalvatore

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I mean, did you do a test before and after?
What was the comparison?

What is your cpu?
What kinds of games do you play?

As to your original question, the thing that destroys electronics is high voltage.
I think you are limiting the lifetime of a very good card which will be hard to replace if it gets damaged. Perhaps back off the OC just a bit?
Yeah, I've done quite a lot of testing, both with and without the OC.

I have an i3 6100, not the best, I know.

I play Overwatch, League, Minecraft (with shaders), Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Valorant, Rocket League, etc.

And if you're talking about the GPU voltage; it's using just 1.113 volts, it never goes higher than that.

Reactions: Bassman999

TRENDING THREADS