[SOLVED] gtx 1050ti oddities

Nov 27, 2021
So I have the misfortune of owning a gtx 1050 ti low profile card. I bought it a few years ago for around $99 new. Recently I cleaned my PC and repasted my CPU, which is an i7 4770. Now after cleaning it seems like some of my performance has taken a hit. It seems like mostly my gpu was affected. I have been working in the PC trade a long time, and I know not to vac my PC and always use compressed air. I have done this a couple times a year for ten years on various systems and only this time encountered something odd. It seems like I've lost performance of 5-10 frames in all games. I also noticed that Doom Eternal has my card listed as having 3950 mb of VRAM available. This card comes with 4096. Perhaps I just haven't been observant, but I swear before it displayed all of my memory. If anyone can set me straight on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Solution
Windows itself uses some GPU memory to render the desktop and a handful of other things, so it is normal for somewhere between 50MB and 150MB of VRAM to be reserved by the OS depending on the number of monitors and resolution.