[SOLVED] gtx 1050ti oddities

Nov 27, 2021
So I have the misfortune of owning a gtx 1050 ti low profile card. I bought it a few years ago for around $99 new. Recently I cleaned my PC and repasted my CPU, which is an i7 4770. Now after cleaning it seems like some of my performance has taken a hit. It seems like mostly my gpu was affected. I have been working in the PC trade a long time, and I know not to vac my PC and always use compressed air. I have done this a couple times a year for ten years on various systems and only this time encountered something odd. It seems like I've lost performance of 5-10 frames in all games. I also noticed that Doom Eternal has my card listed as having 3950 mb of VRAM available. This card comes with 4096. Perhaps I just haven't been observant, but I swear before it displayed all of my memory. If anyone can set me straight on this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Solution
Windows itself uses some GPU memory to render the desktop and a handful of other things, so it is normal for somewhere between 50MB and 150MB of VRAM to be reserved by the OS depending on the number of monitors and resolution.

TRENDING THREADS