GTX 1050ti or 1060 3GB for my Pentium G4560

shazlyfun

Commendable
Jul 23, 2018
Hi all,

Like the topic says, I'd like to know if I will be able to get much better fps in games from the 1060 3gb over the 1050ti when running on 1080p or there won't be much difference. (I'm also open to suggestions on a better card for the price range of the 1060 3gb)

Currently I'm using my G4560's on-board gpu with 8GB RAM and not planning on upgrading until late 2019 - beginning of 2020, so I'd like the gpu to put out some decent frame rate (at least playable) for future games like Anthem
Also I'd like to know if 8GB or RAM is enough or should I upgrade it to 16GB

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Frame rates, in this case, are going to be affected noticeably in games that tend to favor a lot of threads. I think that's obvious. For games that are happy with fewer threads though, that CPU and a 1050ti should offer playable rates on most 3A titles if you are realistic in your expectations when it comes to quality settings. Drop a few things here, move a few sliders to the left there, and there is no reason you can't have a perfectly decent experience so long as you're not also trying to record, stream, watch videos, etc., etc., alongside the gameplay.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The RX 570 outperforms the 1050Ti, and, if you're in the US, there's a $30 rebate on this particular model, which puts it less than a 1060 3GB.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814930004&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
side note: 8GB is still pretty good - but if you WERE considering going to 16GB, I would first check to see if you're running DDR3/DDR3L, or DDR4. If it's DDR3, then don't bother, as when you do upgrade in 2019-2020, you wouldn't be able to carry that RAM over.

It also comes with a recommendation for a good 500w PSU, while the 1050 and 1050ti only require a 320w unit, so what capacity and model of PSU the OP currently has will likely be a serious consideration in that regard. His current PSU might not even have the necessary supplemental power connections.

Also, unless he's planning to upgrade the CPU at some point on the same platform, that card might not make a lot of sense as his CPU is unlikely to be able to fully enjoy the benefit of it's capabilities. In other words, the CPU will likely be at least a minor bottleneck for that card, maybe more than minor. Still, that is a good price, but the price doesn't look so good if the card is more than his CPU or power supply can support.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed - looks like that one has an 8-pin, so a single 8 or 6+2 should do it.

The RX570 would be a better stepping stone to the OP's next system, though at that point it'll be the weak link, and just a placeholder until a better card can be had.

I think, though, that it depends on what sort of games the OP plays. Quite a number of games still don't make heavy use of multiple threads, and the 3.5GHz is nothing to sneeze at. The G4560 is hyperthreaded, though (I didn't realize that before) so it's basically a slightly downclocked i3 for all intents and purposes.

But, yeah, the power supply is the biggest issue. Shazlyfun, what's the brand and model of your power supply?

shazlyfun

Commendable
Jul 23, 2018
I got a Cooler Master Lite 600W PSU, so I guess going for a 1060 is going to be overkill for my pc, I do not have access to the rx570 as they are out of stock at the local stores currently. I just need to know if I can get some playable frame rates on games like battlefield and the division on the 1050ti with the g4560 (I'll be upgrading to a better rig completely at late 2019 with the newest processor and vga at that time, so it's just to last until then)
Also the current RAM is an 8gb ddr4

Frame rates, in this case, are going to be affected noticeably in games that tend to favor a lot of threads. I think that's obvious. For games that are happy with fewer threads though, that CPU and a 1050ti should offer playable rates on most 3A titles if you are realistic in your expectations when it comes to quality settings. Drop a few things here, move a few sliders to the left there, and there is no reason you can't have a perfectly decent experience so long as you're not also trying to record, stream, watch videos, etc., etc., alongside the gameplay.

Solution