Hello,

So I got a used PC for a pretty good deal, and the specs are:

i5 3470
8gb DDR3 RAM
MSI GTX 1060 - 3GB
1 + 1 TB HDD
Corsair 450W PSU

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/5219473

(let me know if there are any further specs I can provide)

My problem is that I seem to not be getting the performance I expected. Maybe I don't have in depth knowledge of the hardware.

For CS:GO (lowest settings, 1080p)

Frames: 12722 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 212.033 - Min: 139 - Max: 287

Note: Increasing quality to maximum gives me 120 fps average which sucks because I got a BenQ 144hz monitor too.

For Rise of the Tomb Raider: (High Settings, 1080p)

Around 70 fps in most areas, but it choked really hard down to 40-50 fps in certain places like Geothermal Valley and The Russian Camp area. Lowering my graphic details did not help much.

---------------------------------------

Seems to me the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU a bit. And the motherboard is pretty outdated too.

On top of this my CPU temperatures are apparently really high, I'm not sure. I get 58 deg on IDLE and 85 deg on full load playing ROTR. Perhaps a new heatsink with new thermal paste will help? Its running on the stock cooler.

Is my rig performing as it should and I need to upgrade? Or is there something wrong otherwise?

----------------------------------------

Also, should I consider getting an SSD? I know SSDs dont help fps very much but perhaps they'll help load the game textures and stuff faster? Load times do not matter to me, I just hate playing ROTR and seeing the textures load slowly.

Thanks for help. :)

Solution
Some games are more CPU intensive and could possibly present the slightest of bottlenecks. On games where you are GPU bound you could simply lower settings to high instead of ultra/max to increase frame rate.

CSGO is CPU bound, ROTR is GPU bound.

Your temps are high. You can first try replacing the thermal paste with fresh and the stock cooler should be enough to keep it much cooler.

SSDs are awesome. It can make the system seem worlds faster when starting Windows and other programs. But if you don't care about load times then don't worry about it.
Some games are more CPU intensive and could possibly present the slightest of bottlenecks. On games where you are GPU bound you could simply lower settings to high instead of ultra/max to increase frame rate.

CSGO is CPU bound, ROTR is GPU bound.

Your temps are high. You can first try replacing the thermal paste with fresh and the stock cooler should be enough to keep it much cooler.

SSDs are awesome. It can make the system seem worlds faster when starting Windows and other programs. But if you don't care about load times then don't worry about it.

Solution

VideoklipBG

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

Hi. That exactly may be the issue - Some games like CS:GO are very CPU intensive and i5 3470 is a little bit slow CPU for 1060 (in some games only). The storage (booting device) is Hard Drive, which also have impact on the system's performance. The PSU is 450W which also may cause like little issues in the future (On new heavy games, heavy softwarem etc.)
But overall with this system these results are likely expected.. It's not bad in any case, I think.