Hamzah_95

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
I am planning to buy a GTX 1060 3gb. My pc specs are as:
i5-3570 (non-k)
8GB RAM
500W PSU
1440x900p LCD
I want to play all modern titles on high to ulta settings. I wanted to go for RX 480 4GB, but then changed my mind because of larger frame time inconsistencies with the 480 vs the 1060. I don't want to spend extra for a 6GB 1060. Will I be able to do so with the 1060 3GB?
Moreover, please consider that I may change my monitor to a 1080p in future. What brand of GTX 1060 should suit me best? Budget is around 190-210$. Will the cpu be a bottleneck for the system or will it do fine?

Solution
all cpus are good for a gpu

the question is, can it keep up with that gpu, making it run at 100%?

possibly not, there could be a small bottleneck, bot that big, so in reality it represents some frames per second less that what it could offer the gpu, nothing more

i am on that situation atm, my cpu goes 100% and my gpu only goes to 40%, game still looks nice but thanks to the very slow cpu i don't good fps on cpu intensive games

on gpu intensive games things change, cpu is used less and gpu is used more so the bottleneck is less noticeable if noticeable at all if exists

Hamzah_95

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

That will require more dollars, but you're right. Is my cpu good enough for the 6gb version?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
all cpus are good for a gpu

the question is, can it keep up with that gpu, making it run at 100%?

possibly not, there could be a small bottleneck, bot that big, so in reality it represents some frames per second less that what it could offer the gpu, nothing more

i am on that situation atm, my cpu goes 100% and my gpu only goes to 40%, game still looks nice but thanks to the very slow cpu i don't good fps on cpu intensive games

on gpu intensive games things change, cpu is used less and gpu is used more so the bottleneck is less noticeable if noticeable at all if exists

Solution

CapsLuke

Honorable
Jan 7, 2017
only one advice: pelase ALWAYS consider purchasing a model which costs a little bit more: i would take the 6gb version over the 3gb even if not needed! why? if i add 30/40 € today, i won't need to pay 250 more when 3gb won't be enough for high settings @60fps... you will earn those additional money in the future trust me!

Hamzah_95

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Thanks for the reply.
What cpu and gpu are you using btw?

Hamzah_95

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Thanks for the advice, it makes sense

Hamzah_95

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Yeah, your APU is definitely the bottleneck. The R7 250 should be paired with at least a 3rd gen i3 or an AMD equivalent.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
that is correct, but this was a decision i made this year, to use it for gaming, i made a mini itx just as my silent pretty desktop pc, and the pc is from the last year and wasn't meant for gaming, only for office tasks and for watching movies

being what it is, you would be surprised how well it runs during missions, free roam the city, well, that is another story, on mount chilliad, it is perfect, the view, effects and fps, the cpu can't keep up with all the textures fast enough on the city

but as you see a bottleneck is not the end of the world, even this one big bottleneck still allows me to play alot of games at hd or 720p very very well, i'm trying to find the time to play blood dragon but gta takes all my time the weekends

Hamzah_95

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016

Yeah, 35 or more fps on 3rd person games are more than enough to be playable. It's the first person shooter games that need 45+ fps to be smoothly playable.