[SOLVED] GTX 1060 3gb: constant stuttering and frame drops

Mar 22, 2019
Hi,
So i built my mid-range gaming PC about a month ago for quite a bit of money and used some of the best reviewed components on the market for the price. However, lately on many games I have experienced A LOT of stuttering and constant frame drops on some of the more demanding games (The division 2, BFV, and hitman 2) and this isn't micro-stuttering, my game legit freezes up for a few seconds if in game my character starts to run/jog and this happens relatively frequently. Also the audio starts to lag as well.

Parts List:
-EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 3GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC), 03G-P4-6162-KR
-
MSI Gaming AMD Ryzen B350 DDR4 VR Ready HDMI USB 3 ATX Motherboard (B350 PC Mate)

-WD Blue 1TB PC Hard Drive - 5400 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD10EZRZ
-Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s
-EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR, Black
-
AMD RYZEN 5 1500X 4-Core 3.5 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo) Socket AM4 65W YD150XBBAEBOX Desktop Processor

Things I have tried
- Customized Nvidia control panel for performance over quality
-installed new drivers
-used the GeForce game optimization tool

I have heard (from other discussions) that if you have the 1060 3gb with an AMD ryzen processor that you will need to have 16gb of ram (I only have 8gb of ram) to run the game smoothly. Is this correct? should I buy another set of 8gb ram?

Solution
I made a good pc lately and I had huge lag issues and I was starting to regret it.
Even csgo didn't feel smooth at all at 400 fps. I disabled game mode and everything is flying now.
Try it out. There are more solutions to this. But let's start with a simple one.

Oscil

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
I made a good pc lately and I had huge lag issues and I was starting to regret it.
Even csgo didn't feel smooth at all at 400 fps. I disabled game mode and everything is flying now.
Try it out. There are more solutions to this. But let's start with a simple one.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP1060
Solution
Mar 22, 2019
Thanks for this man! All i had to do was disable game mode like you said and all my games run flawlessly. i was on BFV and am constantly hitting high 90fps and same goes for division. Before i disabled that i was often hitting 15fps in most demanding games and that made them unplayable. Microsoft should not have put game mode as default in settings.

Mar 22, 2019
Have you checked your temperatures while gaming? Often this can be a cause of frame drop, as the hardware throttles itself to prevent damage.

Download something like SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php), run your game and check the temps that your cpu and gpu get to. Just play the game as normal for a while and see what temps they stop/stick at.
Yeah i downloaded that and my CPU was getting a hell lot of usage (around 80-90%) same thing for my gpu. I then disabled game mode on windows like that other guy said and that fixed my problem but i will definitely buy more RAM and an SSD to help my system temps

Oscil

Reputable
Mar 8, 2019
Thanks for this man! All i had to do was disable game mode like you said and all my games run flawlessly. i was on BFV and am constantly hitting high 90fps and same goes for division. Before i disabled that i was often hitting 15fps in most demanding games and that made them unplayable. Microsoft should not have put game mode as default in settings.
Glad to hear you fixed your problem!
Yeah that's annoying I was troubleshooting non-stop then I though lets try game mode.
Never though that would solve the problem. But glad I found that out !