[SOLVED] GTX 1060 3gb OC Black screen in games with high fan speed

Aug 10, 2019
Hello,
I bought a used 1060 3gb Asus OC model for a good price on eBay about a week ago to upgrade from a 750 ti. It was working perfectly but Suddenly in some games I play I am getting black screen crashes after about 15-30 mins. The display on the monitor goes black with the gpu fan speed going high. I can still hear windows and game audio but I must turn off my pc to get back to windows. I at first thought the graphics card overheated but after monitoring my temperatures while gaming I am getting between 60-70 degrees which should be standard for gaming . I was just playing a game and I saw a tiny bit of artifacting and then this problem happened again. I am assuming it’s either.
  • My PSU (It is an unbranded 500w psu) Maybe it isn’t delivering enough power
  • my gtx 1060 overheated (which I don’t think it did) but I can replace thermal paste and check.

Any ideas for what I should try to fix this?

Specs if they can help:
i7 3770
12gb DDR3 RAM
GTX 1060 3gb OC
Asus h61 MOBO
120gb boot ssd
640gb Storage hdd

Solution
Sumvision PSUs are of very poor quality though. Avoid using this PSU brand for good. Don't know whether your current PSU is indeed the full culprit here, but I would make sure to replace this PSU brand for some other high-quality brand.

Though, I still have my doubts on this Sumvision PSU for sure. Try using some other power supply unit.
Sumvision PSUs are of very poor quality though. Avoid using this PSU brand for good. Don't know whether your current PSU is indeed the full culprit here, but I would make sure to replace this PSU brand for some other high-quality brand.

Though, I still have my doubts on this Sumvision PSU for sure. Try using some other power supply unit.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 10, 2019
Also, double check on the reputation of the seller of this used gpu.
The 1060 was one of the more popular cards back during the mining craze.

The seller had good and average reviews and the listing had stated that he never mined with the card. The card is in really good condition and came with the box and manuals.

Aug 10, 2019
How many stick of ram are you using?
12GBs is not a normal configuration.
What happens if you just use one stick of ram?
I am using 8gb+4gb. I had 16gb (8x2) But one of my ram sticks was faulty so i’m stuck with 12gb at the moment. So far today I’ve been playing some games and there has not been any crashes or black screens but if it does happen again i’ll try using one stick and see what that does.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am using 8gb+4gb. I had 16gb (8x2) But one of my ram sticks was faulty so i’m stuck with 12gb at the moment. So far today I’ve been playing some games and there has not been any crashes or black screens but if it does happen again i’ll try using one stick and see what that does.
I wasn't suggesting you use one stick, but that the unusual ram configuration was contributing to your issues.
Your motherboard doesn't officially support more than 2 sticks.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Aug 10, 2019
The crash happened again. Do you think I should underclock my gpu because I feel like the problem is my power supply not supplying enough power for my gpu under load causing the black screen crashes. Until I get a new psu should it work.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The crash happened again. Do you think I should underclock my gpu because I feel like the problem is my power supply not supplying enough power for my gpu under load causing the black screen crashes. Until I get a new psu should it work.
@Metal Messiah was telling you that the psu wasn't a good unit. Overclocks don't help this situation.
You should run with zero OCs until you get the psu replaced.

How high of an overclock were you pushing? I don't have too much experience with gpu OCs, but the black screen makes me think it was too high of a bump on the memory clock.
Excessive core clock would've frozen or crashed.

If by any chance you're still black screening even after removing the overclocks... the sooner you replace that unit, the better.

I had to look this unit up myself. You have a 6-pin plugged into the gpu, correct?

Aug 10, 2019
@Metal Messiah was telling you that the psu wasn't a good unit. Overclocks don't help this situation.
You should run with zero OCs until you get the psu replaced.

How high of an overclock were you pushing? I don't have too much experience with gpu OCs, but the black screen makes me think it was too high of a bump on the memory clock.
Excessive core clock would've frozen or crashed.

If by any chance you're still black screening even after removing the overclocks... the sooner you replace that unit, the better.

I had to look this unit up myself. You have a 6-pin plugged into the gpu, correct?
The gpu has factory OC. I have a 6 pin adapter which is connected via molex as the psu itself does not have a 6pin or 8pin pcie power connector. I slightly decreased the stock oc memory and core clock. I will replace the unit soon but still torn between if its the psu or the graphics card itself.

It is a sumvision standard x3 500w psu. I will probably upgrade it soon but not sure if the psu is clearly related to this issue for now.
This one?
Athough marketed as 500W, it actually has only 216W on 12V rail.
It's garbage. Throw it out.
BTW - you're risking damage to your entire pc by using this psu in combination with GTX 1060.

Minumum recommended PSU for GTX 1060 is 400W.

5990982c8533706f323c1bde

Ok, Is the Corsair vs550 or evga 600 w1 any good?

Those are average quality budget Power supply units. Not the very best in terms of quality, and efficiency. But these units are at least FAR better than your current generic PSU.

It will work on your PC, but I would recommend you to get the following PSU models and brands. These are high quality units. Look for similar SKUs.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi.

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova.

Jul 23, 2019
Are you using sleeved cables?
If you are then try removing them and then plug the raw psu cable directly into the gpu
If you dont have sleeved cables then try unplugging power cable and plugging them in again.
And then get a BRANDED psu or else you might toast your other hardware if a mistake occur

Are you using sleeved cables?
If you are then try removing them and then plug the raw psu cable directly into the gpu
If you dont have sleeved cables then try unplugging power cable and plugging them in again.
And then get a BRANDED psu or else you might toast your other hardware if a mistake occur

This has nothing to do with custom cables. A lot of good quality power supplies have sleeved cables, and this system is using some really horrible quality power supply.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Jul 23, 2019
This has nothing to do with custom cables. A lot of good quality power supplies have sleeved cables, and this system is using some really horrible quality power supply.
Indeed indeed, Custom cable are one of the most common reason for good hardware failure, this might not be the case but for people reading this it might be