Apr 25, 2019
I have HP Compaq Pro MicroTower 6300 and
Im wonderig can I put 1060 3gb and power it with SATA (Sata to Molex, Molex to 6pin)
My rig is:
CPU: i5 3570 (77W)
GPU: GT 630 2GB OEM
PSU: HP (90% eficient I think) 320W
HDD: 250 GB SATA 7.2K rmp, 3.5 in (~22W)
RAM: 8GB 1666Hz
MOTHERBOARD: HP OEM, non standard
One culer, I dunno who made it, probably HP

I saw 2 or 3 men who managed to do it.
They put GTX 1060 3gb and they power it with unused SATA power connector using Molex extender and they extended Molex to 6pin

Please tell me is it too risky to do it.

Don't tell me: You have GTX 1050 Ti.
Yes I know, but since I saw they managed to put 1060 3gb my main goal is 1060

In my country they are almost same price so 1060 would be great

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019
I have made another thread since nobody watched on "uchkur"

I have HP Compaq Pro MicroTower 6300 and
Im wonderig can I put 1060 3gb and power it with SATA (Sata to Molex, Molex to 6pin)
My rig is:
CPU: i5 3570 (77W)
GPU: GT 630 2GB OEM
PSU: HP (90% eficient I think) 320W
HDD: 250 GB SATA 7.2K rmp, 3.5 in (~22W)
RAM: 8GB 1666Hz
MOTHERBOARD: HP OEM, non standard
One culer, I dunno who made it, probably HP

I saw 2 or 3 men who managed to do it.
They put GTX 1060 3gb and they power it with unused SATA power connector using Molex extender and they extended Molex to 6pin

Please tell me is it too risky to do it.

Don't tell me: You have GTX 1050 Ti.
Yes I know, but since I saw they managed to put 1060 3gb my main goal is 1060

In my country they are almost same price so 1060 would be great

Thanks in advance!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Just because 2-3 people managed to do it may very well mean that 200-300 people failed to do it and they fried their PSU and perhaps their entire PC alongside it as well.
You don't see failure stories out there (e.g youtube), you only see the success stories.

With that being said and especially looking at your PSU, it's a bad idea to power GTX 1060 off from SATA. Minimum PSU wattage i'd use with GTX 1060 would be 450W and that too only with good quality PSU, e.g Seasonic made while 500W range PSU would be preferred. With stock HP PSU (which isn't known for good build quality, i'd be comfortable using 600W range PSU).
Also, using power cable adapters does put additional risk into the mix since without you using good quality adapters (e.g CableMod), that adapter can melt during heavy GPU load, causing several problems (e.g short circuit, smoke, fire).

Long story short: your plan on running GTX 1060 with your current setup is way too risky. However, if you still want to go ahead with your plan, do buy the fire extinguisher. While the fire extinguisher doesn't save your PC, at least it saves your life and home when overloaded PSU goes sky high and/or the adapter melts.

Reactions: davew1860

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have made another thread since nobody watched on "uchkur"

So its slightly against rules to make 2 accounts, so please don't do that. I expect you get a message soon asking which you want to keep. My guess is you want the other one since its got more history. The threads can be linked

You could have just made same post with same user. We don't like duplicate posts but unlikely to see them one month apart.

If your PSU doesnt have 6 pin connectors, it can tell you that its not going to power a gpu that needs them. 6 pin connectors are rated to deliver more power than sata, so it could cause issues to use an adapter.
I would not use a GTX 1060 on any 320w psu, and certainly not a low end oem unit. Of your case is atx, you can swap your psu for about $45. I also would suggest a 6gb 1060, since 3gb is quickly becoming overloaded.

NO. That OEM PSU won't cut the mustard.

The minimum PSU required to power up the GTX 1060 is a high quality 400 WATTS PSU, with 1 6-PIN PCI-e cable. Your PSU is insufficient, and I won't advice you to use any MOLEX Adapters either, since they are not recommended.

Please do not take risk, and upgrade your current PSU.

Wendigo

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Good quality PS are quite affordable and easy to find. No reason to not get one.

That said, be sure a standard ATX PS could fit in your HP case. These OEM often use proprietary standards that aren't comptabile with ATX parts. If it's incompatible, your best option is probably to just get a new PC since there isn't much that could be upgraded on the HP. This kind of OEM PC are really made to be use "as is" without much room or leeway without much room to upgrade anything. And definitely aren't designed to be transformed in a gaming PC.

Latest posts