ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Hello, I have Gtx 1060 6gb for about 5 months and all this time I could set the screen's resolution to 4k (besides my monitor was 1080p) through pc settings on desktop or in games such as PUBG. But the last few days I can't set 4k and the maximum resolution is 1080p both on desktop windows settings and in game options. What did this happen? Why I can't use 4k resolution. I haven't changed anything (neither Monitor nor HDMI). Does it have to do with Win 7 and/or its updates? Please help me solve my problem!!!

Solution
Did you update your Nvidia drivers? There's an Nvidia setting called DSR that lets you render at a higher resolution than your monitor's native resolution, make sure that is still enabled. It's kind of pointless to set your regular desktop to 4K though, it's meant for anti-aliasing in games.

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Hello, I have Gtx 1060 6gb for about 5 months in Windows 7 64 Bit and all this time I could set the screen's resolution to 4k (besides my monitor was 1080p) through pc settings on desktop or in games such as PUBG. But the last few days I can't set 4k and the maximum resolution is 1080p both on desktop windows settings and in game options. What did this happen? Why I can't use 4k resolution. I haven't changed anything (neither Monitor nor HDMI). Does it have to do with Win 7 and/or its updates? Please help me solve my problem!!!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Did you update your Nvidia drivers? There's an Nvidia setting called DSR that lets you render at a higher resolution than your monitor's native resolution, make sure that is still enabled. It's kind of pointless to set your regular desktop to 4K though, it's meant for anti-aliasing in games.

Reactions: ioannis2015v
Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, I believe it should be in Nvidia control panel or geforce experience, not sure as I have AMD. It may just be a single on/off toggle, or you may be able to enable/disable a variety of DSR resolutions. If you enable the 4K resolution, that resolution should appear in the list of resolution options in games, desktop, etc.

ioannis2015v

Reputable
Dec 12, 2018
Yeah, I found it in nvidia's control panel, DSR with about 5 options and I selected 4x native resolution which let me use 4k. Despite that, I find it weird as in the past DSR was off and I had 4k option. Anyway, I don't use 4k as my monitor is 1080p but I just wanted to know how to have 4k option. Thank you for help.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It basically lets your GPU render at 4K and downsample to your monitor's native resolution (i.e. 1080p), which is equivalent to powerful anti aliasing (SSAA, super sampling AA). It can be good if play old or non-demanding games such that your card is far more powerful than is required to run them at native resolution.