[SOLVED] GTX 1060 6gb Black Screen / Freezing

Jan 7, 2019
PC Specs
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: i5-7500
MB: Asrock B250 Pro4
Memory: 16gb DDR4
PSU: EVGA 80+ 600W

For the last couple of days my PC has been getting a black screen / freezing up for a few seconds then recovering and I've narrowed it down to the GPU that seems to be having the issue. I've read another post on here that suggested I use DDU ( Display Driver Uninstaller ) and boot into safe mode to uninstall my nvidia drivers then reinstall after reboot which worked for a couple of hours today but after restarting my pc the issue returned.

List of a couple other things I've tried.
- Reinstalling windows
- Using another graphics card (GT 730) - This worked, I had no black screens or flickering.
- Updating all of my drivers
- Stress Test GPU with FurMark - https://imgur.com/a/BGbXZF2 - During stress test it will stay around 7-13 fps sometimes spiking up to 50+ then going back down. Max temperature I've got it to is 48C, the fan stays at 40%. It's not being overclocked.

There have been a few occasions where I've restarted my PC after having this issue and the GPU returns to normal and I've used it for hours at a time then after restarting my PC again the issue returns.

Lutfij

Titan
How did you narrow down the issue to be your GPU? By dropping in a GT730 in your system and getting display? If so, the card you latter dropped in draws less power than the GTX1060 6GB. Inf act, how old is your PSU? Did you try running the system with the GTX1060 6GB off another PSU that is reliably built and branded? EVGA's lower end units aren't (all)exactly reliable but are branded.

Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Have you tried reverting to older drivers and ruled out a driver issue?

Lutfij

Titan
How did you narrow down the issue to be your GPU? By dropping in a GT730 in your system and getting display? If so, the card you latter dropped in draws less power than the GTX1060 6GB. Inf act, how old is your PSU? Did you try running the system with the GTX1060 6GB off another PSU that is reliably built and branded? EVGA's lower end units aren't (all)exactly reliable but are branded.

Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Have you tried reverting to older drivers and ruled out a driver issue?

Jan 7, 2019

Yes, after using the GT 730 I assumed it had to be something with the graphics card. I've only had this PC a little over two years. My bios was originally on version 1.10 but I updated it to 2.40 when I started having the issue. As for drivers, I've reverted the nvidia drivers back to version 391.24 and it didn't get rid of the issue. Also when trying to boot my PC today, I had to restart about three times for the display to even appear.

Update: I tested with a brand new ThermalTake 650 Watt PSU and with the graphics card I'm still getting black screen / freezing.

ASK THE COMMUNITY