[SOLVED] GTX 1060 6gb frames are terrible

Jan 6, 2019
Hi guys,

I just recently upgraded to a GTX 1060 6gb. My current processor is a FX-6300 (which i know is not the best, but I am looking to upgrade it to an i7) overclocked to 4.2 ghz, and I have 8gb ram. I have a 450w power supply from EVGA. Yet, when i try to run Fortnite on all low settings, I run the game on less than 50 fps. I installed all drivers, reinstalled them, and also hard reset my computer (completely reinstalled windows) and the problem still persists. What should I do to improve my frame-rate?

Thanks in advance.

Solution

I'm having this problem too with the MSI GTX 1060. I haven't completely solved it, but what helped was to go in the Nvidia Control Panel and making sure that the "Power Management Mode" is set to "High...

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012

I'm having this problem too with the MSI GTX 1060. I haven't completely solved it, but what helped was to go in the Nvidia Control Panel and making sure that the "Power Management Mode" is set to "High Performance". Also make sure that your power settings in the control panel is set to the "High Performance" preset.

Solution

stinto112

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

FX 6300 is nowhere near good enough for that GPU. You need a ryzen 3 1200 or a 13 8100 minimum. If you can, try taking it to a friend with a PC and see how it performs there. However im pretty sure your CPU is holding it back. Download MSi afterburner and tell me what CPU + GPU usage you are getting in game.