[SOLVED] GTX 1060 6GB getting 40 FPS on 1080p Overwatch with Low Settings

sreerram.chavali

Commendable
Nov 18, 2017
I used to get a solid 120 FPS with Ultra settings 1080p on Overwatch but nowadays, I get 40 FPS on the lowest settings. I'm forced to drop my resolution to 720p just to get to 60 FPS. I updated my drivers and turned on "Prefer max performance: in NVIDA Control Panel and turned off Hardware Acceleration on Discord but it still doesn't change. Can someone please help with this? I'm also getting about 5% CPU usage from WMI Provider Host.

Thanks in advance,
sreerram.chavali

sreerram.chavali

Commendable
Nov 18, 2017
What the cpu and gpu temperatures when in the game? Are other games ok?
Both are at 91 degrees Celsius. This isn't the problem though because they were at those temperatures back when I had 120 FPS. This problem isn't only for Overwatch. It happens on games like GTAV and Apex Legends too.

91c is too hot. It may only be maintaining that temperature by throttling the cpu & gpu at lower speeds than it used to. You need to fix the temperature problem even if it’s not the cause but there is a good chance this is the problem or part of the problem.

sreerram.chavali

Commendable
Nov 18, 2017
91c is too hot. It may only be maintaining that temperature by throttling the cpu & gpu at lower speeds than it used to. You need to fix the temperature problem even if it’s not the cause but there is a good chance this is the problem or part of the problem.
How do I fix it then?

sreerram.chavali

Commendable
Nov 18, 2017
Ensure there is no dust inside the pc especially in the fans and heat sinks. Make sure the fans are all working properly and if you only have 1 or 2 case fans look at adding 1 or 2 more. For the cpu now is a good time to replace the old thermal paste and you may have to do this for the gpu.
Thank you, I put 2 pegs upfront on under my computer and now my temps are at 80-86 range!

ASK THE COMMUNITY