GTX 1060 6GB i5 3470 not performing too well

Jusge96

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Hi!

I recently got my new graphics card ( MSI GTX 1060 6GB) and there has been bad performing since. I also got new PSU, because the last one was very old.

In GTA V in the beginning the game runs OK, but after a while it starts lagging more and more.
Also BF1 no matter what settings I'm running goes under 60 fps.. ( I have seen people get 60 fps in ultra with the same specs I have.)

My Specs:
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: intel core i5 3470 3.2Ghz
MEM: 8GB Ram
PSU: TS xfx 450W
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P8Z77-V LX2

Should I build a whole new PC around my GPU or is there any solution?'

Any help is appreciated!!

Solution
100% CPU usage = The GPU can't more. Your CPU is at Its limit, and will hold the graphics card back from doing more.

Reducing graphics settings may also reduce CPU usage.

Potentional solution for BF1: Revert from ultra to high settings, create a ''user.cfg'' file into your Battlefield 1 folder using Notepad and type the following command into it: Renderdevice.RenderAheadLimit 2

This will lower your CPU usage by 5-15%.

ZaneDragon

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017
Monitor your CPU usage and report back to us. If it't 90-100% most of the time (when you game) then yes, you should concider upgrading your CPU (that means also your motherboard and your RAM)

Jusge96

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

Yeah I got the results now, So..

BF1
GPU usage 30%
CPU 100%
Ultra 25FPS
Low 40-50fps (sometimes below 30)
Ram usage 6900MB

GTA V
GPU 50%
CPU 100%
50-60 FPS

So I guess I have to upgrade my whole PC except GPU, but I don't get it, how I get only 30% GPU usage when CPU is on 100%. I see somebody getting at least 80% in BF1 and 60FPS O.O

ZaneDragon

Respectable
Jan 4, 2017
I'll explain it to you.
CPU passes informations to the GPU which then processes the graphics. So if the CPU is slow, then the GPU can't run at it's full speed/power because the CPU is slowing it down.
For example you have an good owen. If you want it to produce a lot of heat then you need to give it wood quickly. If not, well then it's full potential can't be used. Maybe not the best example but I hope you understand it.
Usually an i5 and above can handle with GPUs up to GTX 1080.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
100% CPU usage = The GPU can't more. Your CPU is at Its limit, and will hold the graphics card back from doing more.

Reducing graphics settings may also reduce CPU usage.

Potentional solution for BF1: Revert from ultra to high settings, create a ''user.cfg'' file into your Battlefield 1 folder using Notepad and type the following command into it: Renderdevice.RenderAheadLimit 2

This will lower your CPU usage by 5-15%.

Solution