Question gtx 1060 6gb idle temp too hot ?!

Jun 6, 2019
I just bought a gainward gtx 1060 6gb and i think the idle temp is too hot. Its idling 50-53 degree celsius with fans at 32%, when i game with heavy graphic settings its around 65-71 degrees. is ok to have this idle temperature ?!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
1st, which make and model GPU you actually have?

2nd, how good of a cooling you have in your PC (how many fans + their size) and which PC case are you using?

3rd, what's your ambient temperature?

Without knowing the answer to those three questions above, i can't tell why your temps under load is slightly on the hot side. But that much i can say that your temps aren't nothing to worry about.

For example:
In my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), i have MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 3G GPU (known for it's very good cooling and quiet operation).
My idle temps are about 51°C with GPU fans at 0 RPM (Zero Frozr feature) while under the load, my GPU stays at 66°C with fans at 1000 RPM at ambient temp of 27°C.
Then again, i have very good cooling in form of 6x 140mm and 1x 120mm case fans, all of them sitting in Corsair 760T v2 Black case.

Jun 6, 2019
@ThatVietGuy my ambient temperature is 27 degrees celsius and i have a redragon diamond storm case https://http2.mlstatic.com/gabinete...03-D_NQ_NP_669991-MLB28265556726_092018-F.jpg

@Aeacus 1- i have a gainward gtx 1060 6gb https://roginformatica.com.br/media...709b9bb6062f4d7e9/n/e/ne51060015j9-1061d1.jpg

2- 3 fans on the front and 1 in the back and my case is redragon diamond storm, they are 120mm fans https://http2.mlstatic.com/gabinete...03-D_NQ_NP_669991-MLB28265556726_092018-F.jpg

3- my ambient temperature right now is 27 degrees celsius

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Gainward isn't well known GPU maker and i don't expect them to produce issue free GPUs. Looking a bit around the net and i saw quite a few people who's Gainward GPU also ran on the hotter side. Then again, with cheaper GPU than from big boys (e.g Asus, MSI), there's not much else to expect either.

Like i said above, your temps will do for now, but barely. GTX 1060 can do up to 85°C. If you want to get temps lower there are 3x things you could do:

1) With 3x 120mm intake and 1x 120mm exhaust, what you have is very high positive pressure inside the case. Positive pressure, while better to keep dust intake lower than negative pressure, doesn't cool the PC components that well either. With positive pressure, you can have stagnant air which leads to higher internal temperatures since there aren't enough fans removing the heated air from the inside of the case.
To fix that, you're looking towards new PC case which also has top fan mounts for additional exhaust fans. Since with more exhaust fans, you can get neutral or even negative pressure. While negative pressure has highest dust intake, it also cools the best since hot air is removed as soon as it's generated. Also, negative pressure works with natural convection and is good to cool open-air type GPUs.
Oh, solid front panel cases (like yours) will have frontal airflow handicapped compared to the mesh front panel case. So, if you want best cooling, avoid cases with solid front panel.

2) Increase the speed of your current fans (e.g max speed) to get more air passing through your system.
Though, that does increase the already high positive pressure even more and depending on the fans you use, they may not be good even at max speed. Replacing fans can have huge benefit if your current fans are for the eyecandy and not cooling performance. For a good airflow fan, look towards Noctua, Corsair ML Pro LED and NZXT AER RGB fans.

3) Replace the GPU.
While it would be pointless to get another GTX 1060 just to get lower temps, you can look towards RTX 1660 Ti or above for additional performance. As far as brand and model goes, MSI Gaming X series GPUs are one of the best out there when it comes to cooling and silent operation (they also cost accordingly).

Jun 6, 2019
@Aecus
Thank you so much for helping me, I appreciate a lot, reading your answer makes me feel relieved, you are my hero bro !!!

i didnt know that about gainward :(
I will buy better fans and put more 2 on the top, my case can support 2x 120mm on the top and in the future i will buy a gpu from galax, asus, msi, etc.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome. :)

In GPU industry, big boys are (in no particular order): Asus, MSI, EVGA and Gigabyte. Lesser known/smaller are: Zotac, PNY, Galax, Gainward, XFX, Sapphire, Palit, PowerColor, Inno3D, and the list goes on and on...

I usually keep my GPU suggestion to the 4 big ones, though, Zotac GPUs are good budget options and lately, Zotac has also shown good results from their higher end GPU series (AMP Extreme).

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome. :)

Usually, in the Nvidia Control Panel, the "Power Management Mode" is set to "Prefer maximum performance" since for desktop PCs, there is no issue with GPU power draw and heat production. The "Adaptive" setting is mostly used with laptops, or in your case, to keep GPU temps in check.