Mar 7, 2022
So basically I am fully out of ideas.
My Asus Dual gtx 1060 6gb OC model is Using a average load of 50 watts in load in some extremely heavy loads the max I seen is 66 watts.

In idle it stays steady in 39 to 40 watts. The problem with the low wattage usage is that I cant even play games or what ever since its always under playable fps like 10 even in 2d games.

Sometimes the system works as it should when started up but its very rarely.

But when it does the wattage is all from 90 to 110 if not more In load and games.
Right now Because of the issue I can just use the pc barley as a desktop.

Have tried:
Reinstalling drivers
Reinstalling Windows not from USB but cloud install
Settings in Nvidia Control panel such as Prefer maximum performance.
Setting the Pcie lane from auto to Gen3
Disabled the igpu power settings in control panel

If you have a solution to this let me know

Systems specs:
CPU: I5-4670K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97MX-gaming 5
Graphics Card: Asus dual 1060 6gb OC
PSU: Corsair CV650
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB (8GB total) 1600Mhz clocked to 1800Mhz

woot

Distinguished
So basically I am fully out of ideas.
My Asus Dual gtx 1060 6gb OC model is Using a average load of 50 watts in load in some extremely heavy loads the max I seen is 66 watts.

In idle it stays steady in 39 to 40 watts. The problem with the low wattage usage is that I cant even play games or what ever since its always under playable fps like 10 even in 2d games.

Sometimes the system works as it should when started up but its very rarely.

But when it does the wattage is all from 90 to 110 if not more In load and games.
Right now Because of the issue I can just use the pc barley as a desktop.

Have tried:
Reinstalling drivers
Reinstalling Windows not from USB but cloud install
Settings in Nvidia Control panel such as Prefer maximum performance.
Setting the Pcie lane from auto to Gen3
Disabled the igpu power settings in control panel

If you have a solution to this let me know

Systems specs:
CPU: I5-4670K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97MX-gaming 5
Graphics Card: Asus dual 1060 6gb OC
PSU: Corsair CV650
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB (8GB total) 1600Mhz clocked to 1800Mhz
i remember having a similar problem with a video card that would underperform in games and only ran 50% of its TDP, turns out it was a forgotten video card control program that set the power limit of my card to 50%.

check if you have any (or multiple) video card control programs (like Asus GPU Tweak) and make sure that the program is not setting your GPU power target too low.

your cards TDP is 120W and it should be hitting that number when playing demanding games.

Mar 7, 2022
Mar 7, 2022
i remember having a similar problem with a video card that would underperform in games and only ran 50% of its TDP, turns out it was a forgotten video card control program that set the power limit of my card to 50%.

check if you have any (or multiple) video card control programs (like Asus GPU Tweak) and make sure that the program is not setting your GPU power target too low.

your cards TDP is 120W and it should be hitting that number when playing demanding games.

The only program installed right now is Nvidia control panel and some benchmarking tools

Mar 7, 2022

But can install Asus gpu tweak and see

Mar 7, 2022

Gpu power target is 100% but only runs 48 - 50 % of its power when i benchmarked

Mar 7, 2022
perhaps it’s time to test your 1060 in another system.

After some weeks i was able to find a computer to test on.
The GPU on the test system worked without issues benchmarked and restarted the pc 8 times in a row the 9nt time i tested gaming and no issue at all.
When putting everything back into my pc again it worked fine on first boot up but after restart it was so bad again.

PSU: Works tested with another known good one
CPU: No issues at all
RAM: works as it should clocked to 1800 MHz
SSD: Works as it should

Now to the motherboard witch is the only part left that i have no idea on. My main thoughts are now to the motherboard but why I am still asking for help is because I aint sure what can be wrong or have caused GPU to underperform 90% of the time. And wanted to know the causes or if it can be fixed somehow. or if a whole new motherboard is needed.

woot

Distinguished
After some weeks i was able to find a computer to test on.
The GPU on the test system worked without issues benchmarked and restarted the pc 8 times in a row the 9nt time i tested gaming and no issue at all.
When putting everything back into my pc again it worked fine on first boot up but after restart it was so bad again.

PSU: Works tested with another known good one
CPU: No issues at all
RAM: works as it should clocked to 1800 MHz
SSD: Works as it should

Now to the motherboard witch is the only part left that i have no idea on. My main thoughts are now to the motherboard but why I am still asking for help is because I aint sure what can be wrong or have caused GPU to underperform 90% of the time. And wanted to know the causes or if it can be fixed somehow. or if a whole new motherboard is needed.
interesting, the only other thing i can think of is the 6-pin power connector.

Mar 7, 2022

And sometimes the pc will just half boot because cant find display. So my thought was the pcie but no, none of the three makes a difference so i aint sure but is it something there that might be the problem?

sylas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Yes, first set your Mobo BIOS to defaults and see how that goes. If good then goto game, else check for BIOS updates for your Mobo. See if you're stuck in a PCIe 4x mode or worse. Make sure your PCIe link is not limited somehow. You can do this through many different apps. I personally prefer HW Info 64. Also, lately I've noticed Windows update installing drivers on my system that were totally incompatible. Check yo Device Manager and make sure everything is ...bang-less. In Device Mgr, hit the option up top to show hidden devices. It may show something that piss you off something fierce. Feel me?