GTX 1060 6Gb Overheating (95-87°C)

Sep 29, 2018
Hi there good people,
I just bought the Zotac GTX 1060 6Gb AMP edition and installed it in my previously build PC, and while playing any game at any settings the Card reaches 80°C normally, just at the Main menu page and as I keep playing the Temperature keep increasing after half an hour it goes up to 86-89°c, I was playing Ring Of Elysium and then reached 93° in just 40-45 minutes. I don't know what is wrong.
Some noticible things are: GPU is second hand bought after someone used it for 7 months, and yes this problem was in his PC too.
I've the old cheapest PSU 450watts, that came with the case itself, it's zebronics PSU, and probably not at all made for GTX 1060.
I'm running Windows 10 1803 latest update.
Please help and let me know what could be the possible reason for this heating, I'm not even any games just because I'm afraid of my card burning.

Solution
If you don't care about noise and just want maximum airflow. Get Noctuan NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM or NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM case fans. Whichever is the largest your case supports 140mm and 120mm respectively. Replace the default fan and add one in the intake. These pull a lot of air and have a high static pressure. They are loud and are not cheap. The 2000 series are also good but not nearly as good.

If you want something cheap, quiet and decent. Get Arctic F12 or F14 PWM case fans. Same configuration. Possible three fans instead of two. They have decent air flow and static pressure. They are also very quiet. They don't compete with the Noctua but are usually sufficient.

As both types of fans mentioned are PWM. Use...
Are the GPU fans running?

What sort of case cooling do you have?

What's the ambient temperature?

Is anything obstructing the case intake or exhaust?

Any other restriction factors? Such as computer inclosed inside a cabinet, in a closed closet or area without access to free air flow.

Sep 29, 2018

I've small case, I do not know if I can call it mini tower or the smallest tower in world for pc cases, and to be honest I have no cooling equipment other then the default ones, (1 stock cpu cooler came with ryzen 5 1600 and 2 gpu fans so total of 3 fans )and yes the GPU's both fans are running properly no issue with the, for third question, the ambient room temp is 34c although it reaches up to 40 at times, and no, there is no way pc can take intake and the cabinet is not in cupboard, but it is slightly like that, just open from front side. Normal temp without playing any games, after turning on pc, it's 47c.

Sep 29, 2018

Yes, totally agreed with what they say, but is it fine to run your games at average of 92c all the time? Won't it damage the card or motherboard or anything like that? Because when I touch the case after temp reaches 90, it burns my hands and scare the *&^% out of me!!! (I'm newb)

If you don't care about noise and just want maximum airflow. Get Noctuan NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM or NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM case fans. Whichever is the largest your case supports 140mm and 120mm respectively. Replace the default fan and add one in the intake. These pull a lot of air and have a high static pressure. They are loud and are not cheap. The 2000 series are also good but not nearly as good.

If you want something cheap, quiet and decent. Get Arctic F12 or F14 PWM case fans. Same configuration. Possible three fans instead of two. They have decent air flow and static pressure. They are also very quiet. They don't compete with the Noctua but are usually sufficient.

As both types of fans mentioned are PWM. Use whatever software came with your motherboard for a more aggressive case fan speed curve. As case fan temps rely only on CPU not GPU temps. They need to be aggressive to keep a GPU cool.

Front and bottom should be intakes. Rear and top exhaust. Personally, I also use aluminum ducting tape inside a case to seal air leaks. So, I can force airflow and prevent recirculation. I also tend to use an intake only setup or heavily favor intake. To ensure cool air is drawn from the front and exhaust goes out the rear. It also makes sure I utilize the air filters.

You should also use AMD Wattman for Radeon or MSI Afterburner for nVidia to set a more aggressive GPU curve.

You may also want to consider vented PCI slot covers.

I don't know if you have a recirculating fan GPU or blower style GPU. For the case you describe it should have been a blower style. You're going to really need to get air moving in that small case if you have a recirculating fan.

Solution
Sep 29, 2018

Just a quick question, what power supply shall I get? Is vs450 of corsair or VS550 good enough? I need to run these components
Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
1 HDD - 1Tb
Ryzen 5 1600x
12Gb of ram 3000mgz
MSI mobo - idk name some 320 one (ik its cheap)
2 noctua nf- f12 fans
(also I want to use 1 fan for intake and 2 for exhaust so total of 3 fans)

What is best for the money varies by country. Generally the Corsair CX or CXM series are the best budget units. Make sure the CX or CXM is written in black not green letters. You'll see what I mean with a Google image search of Corsair CX.

Sometimes the Seasonic Focus Gold or Seasonic Focus Plus Gold can be had for only a little more. These are very high quality units. If you can, get one of these.

The Corsair VS series are of moderate build quality. I'd avoid them. They're something I'd toss in some old computer I just want to get working, budget business computer or cheap gaming computer. Such as something with a Ryzen 3 and GTX 1050. Something where value of the computer doesn't warrant spending more on a PSU than absolutely necessary. It's certainly a vast improvement over the junk which comes with a case. I'd take it any day over that. I'd even take an EVGA BT series Amazon sells for $25 over something which came with a case. The VS is better than the BT.

Really, any of the PSU I mentioned will work at 450W or higher. I'd get the CX/CXM or Focus Gold though at 550W. They'll give you some room to grow and better quality assurance.