[SOLVED] GTX 1060 6gb performance

Aug 24, 2019
AMD FX-6350 @ 4.2
Asus M5A97 2.0 mobo
Currently 8gb ram, have 16gb ordered
Gtx 1060 6gb single fan

I recently did a fresh install of Win 7 pro x64 and added a GTX 1060 6gb single fan card to my pc and installed the newest driver software. Everything seems to work great. But I did the Passmark Performance Test (version 9.0) to see how my system rated and got an extremely low number for my graphics compared to other 1060's. Mine rated at 2600 and average for a 1060 is closer to 8-9000. It runs great in games getting 80-90 fps in Rainbow Six Siege on Ultra settings. I'm curious if I'm missing out on alot of performance as the test states? Or could the test not be measuring my GPU correctly?

Solution
Well, here is my score if you want to compare. I haven't run this one before, so you will have to let me know if there is something particularly interesting. This is a 4790K @ 4.2 Ghz (to control heat) with a GTX 1060.
passmark.jpg
Got my issue fixed, turns out it was the low amount of RAM. I added 16gb to make it 24gb total and went from 2600 to 8000. Seeing your stats make me sad because my rating is only 2666 / 57th percentile lol
Slow CPU (especially in single-core tests). That's why your numbers are so low on passmark. If you are happy with game performance (and that card should do fine), nothing to worry about for now. If you get newer games down the road and you are unhappy with performance, CPU should be the first thing to upgrade.

Aug 24, 2019
Slow CPU (especially in single-core tests). That's why your numbers are so low on passmark. If you are happy with game performance (and that card should do fine), nothing to worry about for now. If you get newer games down the road and you are unhappy with performance, CPU should be the first thing to upgrade.
I've planned out a build but it's going to be atleast a year before it's in the budget. Currently it plays games great but it just rates low on the test, even when compared to the exact same cpu and gpu combo

even when compared to the exact same cpu and gpu combo
OK. Where are you getting these comparisons? Youtube perhaps? Don't go by youtube. You have no way of knowing if these people are being truthful in the data they throw into these videos, and there are other aspects of their systems that likely don't match yours. And frankly, even though I haven't been here long (came over from AT), I am seeing way to many threads that start because people don't get the numbers they saw on a Youtube video. There are plenty of websites like Tom's that have built a reputation by benchmarking hardware using standardized, truthful measurement systems, and that is what I recommend you go by.

Aug 24, 2019
OK. Where are you getting these comparisons? Youtube perhaps? Don't go by youtube. You have no way of knowing if these people are being truthful in the data they throw into these videos, and there are other aspects of their systems that likely don't match yours. And frankly, even though I haven't been here long (came over from AT), I am seeing way to many threads that start because people don't get the numbers they saw on a Youtube video. There are plenty of websites like Tom's that have built a reputation by benchmarking hardware using standardized, truthful measurement systems, and that is what I recommend you go by.
On Passmarks performace test you can compare to other people's pc that took the same tests. You can search by cpu or for PC's with the same cpu and gpu and it shows how they scored on each individual test. My cpu was toward the top of the ratings of the FX-6350's but my gpu (gtx1060 6gb) at 2600 was well under the average of 6-8000 when I looked at dozens of comparisons with the same hardware

Is that 8gb 1 single or 2x4gb ?
The 16gb should help.
Is the 6350 @4.2 oc or are you giving the boost frequency ?
My old 6350 on a gigabyte 990 fxa-ud3 was oc to 4.6@ 24/7 with my zotac 1060 6gb amp edition.
Msi afterburner with a oc and a aggressive fan curve start sooner and higher help my scores.
The 2d scores have always been low vs 3d scores and that is a ms windows issue we can't do anything with as they left out improvements for 2d.
Which in turn leads to lower graphic scores.
That was reading through the passmark pages from 1 of the top guys with passmark.

Aug 24, 2019
Well, here is my score if you want to compare. I haven't run this one before, so you will have to let me know if there is something particularly interesting. This is a 4790K @ 4.2 Ghz (to control heat) with a GTX 1060.
passmark.jpg
Got my issue fixed, turns out it was the low amount of RAM. I added 16gb to make it 24gb total and went from 2600 to 8000. Seeing your stats make me sad because my rating is only 2666 / 57th percentile lol

Solution
Aug 24, 2019
Is that 8gb 1 single or 2x4gb ?
The 16gb should help.
Is the 6350 @4.2 oc or are you giving the boost frequency ?
My old 6350 on a gigabyte 990 fxa-ud3 was oc to 4.6@ 24/7 with my zotac 1060 6gb amp edition.
Msi afterburner with a oc and a aggressive fan curve start sooner and higher help my scores.
The 2d scores have always been low vs 3d scores and that is a ms windows issue we can't do anything with as they left out improvements for 2d.
Which in turn leads to lower graphic scores.
That was reading through the passmark pages from 1 of the top guys with passmark.
It was 2x4 and I just added in my 2x8 so now I'm at 24gb. The new ram made a huge improvement in my test scores. My 6350 is on the factory 4.2 oc and I have no ambition to push it further at the moment 😉

What are the 2x4gb running mhz.
And the 2x8 running are they the same speeds and timings if they are 1866 or higher the memory controler will default them to 1600mhz when all slot are populated.
And even if they are @1600 they are mix ram now.
Try running with just the 16gb see how it scores.

If you want i will kick my son off his and run pt9 but it's a 8350 with a 1060 6gb
But let me know soon as i gotta leave town in the morning.

To be fair your 4790 alone doubles and some on all cpu benchmarks to a 6350.

Here is a couple pics the first is a closer comparison to the 6350.
The first is the 8350 running 16gb 2x8 g.skill trident x 1866 cl9 running @2133.
With a zotac gtx 1060 6gb.

The second pics is just to give you some idea of a ryzen r5 2600x,16gb 2x8 g.skill flare x 3200 cl14
With a zotac 1070 ti amp.

If your total score was only 2666 it could be because of the mixed ram.

View: https://imgur.com/a/QEiDT3a

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019
To be fair your 4790 alone doubles and some on all cpu benchmarks to a 6350.

Here is a couple pics the first is a closer comparison to the 6350.
The first is the 8350 running 16gb 2x8 g.skill trident x 1866 cl9 running @2133.
With a zotac gtx 1060 6gb.

The second pics is just to give you some idea of a ryzen r5 2600x,16gb 2x8 g.skill flare x 3200 cl14
With a zotac 1070 ti amp.

If your total score was only 2666 it could be because of the mixed ram.

View: https://imgur.com/a/QEiDT3a
My ram score definitely improved with more ram but it's still only ddr3 so it's pretty much just gonna be low, also my disk score isnt great either but for now it plays good. My next build is (hopefully) going to be a Ryzen 7 3700x with an rtx 2070 or 2080.