Gtx 1060 6gb- Problem with power? Red light, instead of white

owheaton

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
I got a GTX 1060 6gb for Christmas today- I installed it into my pc and powered it up, on the screen it read “please plug in PCIE plug into graphics card” or something along those lines. I tried again and the same thing came up, I searched up what the problem was and none was applicable to my problem. I have a 750 watt power supply and it is plugged in correctly... I only have one 8 pin as it is the strix edition. I have a semi-modular power supply which I connected one of the 8 pins to a extension to make my cables look nicer.
After searching it up and not finding a solution, I disconnected the extension and reconected it... after doing so, I powered the system up and the red light above the power cable (where you connect them in) turned white (presumed it was a good thing as every other strix graphics card has white light rather than red) and it came up on the screen. I was really happy the boot screen came up and then it turned to a black screen... I thought it was just taking a second to boot through. I put the cables back in the case to put on the side pannel and before I put the side pannel on, it was still a black screen. About 5 mins past and it was still black. So I decided to turn off the pc, turned it back on and the light it now red.

I’m thinking it may be a power issue but I have a 750 watt power supply (so I don’t think it would be due to insufficient power) , and all the plugs are in properly. The thing I think it may be is a faulty graphics card or faulty extension cable.

Thank you for reading this, and trying to help, I hope the information is helpful. Thanks

EDIT:
I fix the issue by taking out the power supply, taking out the pcie cable in the power supply and using compressed air in the cable to clear out dust. It now works

Solution
I fix the issue by taking out the power supply, taking out the pcie cable in the power supply and using compressed air in the cable to clear out dust. It now works

owheaton

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017

Solution