[SOLVED] GTX 1060 6gb/R5 1500x Which Should I Upgrade?

Aydrian

Honorable
Sep 28, 2014
A few years ago I purchased a pre-built PC and right now I'm desperately in need of some upgrades, namely to my GPU and CPU. I have a GTX 1060 6gb and an R5 1500x.

I plan to upgrade both eventually but I need to know what to get first. For the GPU I'm thinking the RX 5700xt and the CPU the R7 3700x. One upgrade I can get now but the next will need to come in September.

I know I'm probably going to experience a bottleneck no matter which I choose. My intention is 1440p gaming with as close to max settings as I can get when I have both upgrades, but which one will give me the biggest gains right now?

I'd appreciate any advice. When searching for an answer on google, it seems like literally no one else on the planet has a 1500x.

Solution
1500x is an oem processor supplied to prebuilt manufactures.

Rx 5700xt would be considerable upgrade over the 1060 for 1440p. Wouldn't worry so much about the cpu right now, it'll do fine supplying the graphics card in 2k. Cpu is not likely going to restrict you in most games unless expecting 120+ fps in some titles.

Be mindful of your power supply and the connections the graphics card will require to run. Check pin and wattage requirements and make sure the card will fit.

Might also want to email the prebuilt company for confirmation on later cpu gen compatibility unless not already stated on their support page.

4745454b

Titan
There isn't much of a gaming difference between any of the 1500-2600X. More so at stock. The frequencies and boosts will be slightly different, but not so different as one will get double the frame rate over another.

The 1060 6GB should be able to avg 60FPS for nearly all games at 1080. With max settings. This means if you want 120-144Hz or a higher res you need a better GPU. Your R5 might hold it back slightly, but I do think the GPU is the way to go. You should be able to OC your 1500X if you need more CPU speed. But you can't OC your 1060 into a 1440 capable card.

Reactions: Aydrian

boju

Titan
Ambassador
1500x is an oem processor supplied to prebuilt manufactures.

Rx 5700xt would be considerable upgrade over the 1060 for 1440p. Wouldn't worry so much about the cpu right now, it'll do fine supplying the graphics card in 2k. Cpu is not likely going to restrict you in most games unless expecting 120+ fps in some titles.

Be mindful of your power supply and the connections the graphics card will require to run. Check pin and wattage requirements and make sure the card will fit.

Might also want to email the prebuilt company for confirmation on later cpu gen compatibility unless not already stated on their support page.

Reactions: Aydrian
Solution