GTX 1060 6gb shows only 2gb

fbrem2016

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
I bought a GTX 1060 earlier this year, from Galax, a model with 6gb VRAM.

However, until now, every game only uses 2gb of it. The only exception is Rise of the Tomb Raider, which shows 4gb. Im using hwinfo and gpu-z for measurements.

Current drive is 397.64. I was using the 398.36 before, but I had random freezes on my desktop, which forced me to downgrade to 397.64. I used driver sweeper for the change, restarting the computer as was instructed. So far, there are no remains of other video drivers.

My CPU is a i7-2600. According to this site http://www.thebottlenecker.com the bottleneck is only 7%, and "Graphic card and processor will work great together". So, I ruled out a bottleneck.

The motherboard is a GA-P67A-UD5 from Gigabyte, its running the latest BIOS (version F8). The slots are PCI-e 2.0, while the card is 3.0. I searched the internet and everybody says theres no change in performance. Also, if it was this, how Tomb Raider would mark 4gb of use?

As for RAM, I have 16gb, with four sticks of 4gb each, all from Corsair, model Vengeance. Its the same model for all sticks, so theres no compatibility issue. My power supply is also from Corsair, a 850w model. Never had any problem with it.

My video card gets a maximum of 60 degrees celsius while playing Elder Scrolls Online, and the processor dont go above 40 degrees. The CPU is using a dedicated cooler from Coolermaster, so no heating issues here.

What would this problem be? I need to solve it, I searched the internet but there was no solution to it. How can I make ESO to use all the VRAM? I get 25fps while playing it, because the maps are big, whereas in other games I get 60fps. Also, my system is Windows 7. Do the SO have a limitation concerning graphic cards?

Don't rely on that "bottleneck" website as it's been shown to be vastly unreliable. Just saying.

As for trying to get the card to use more of the VRAM, turn your graphics settings up to the max and see if it works. Many of today's games have a built in benchmark and if your game has it, run it after you've turned everything up. You're not going to be able to force a GPU to use all of its available memory. What it does use is a mix of graphics settings, resolution, and game optimization (many of which are quite poorly optimized). Remember that.

Games only use as much VRAM as they need. The vast majority of games simply don't need that much VRAM, especially at more moderate resolutions like 1080p, if that's what you happen to be running. Not having your VRAM filled is not actually a problem. Only if a game were using all your VRAM would you run into performance issues as a result of it, as the card would need to access data from the slower system memory instead.

If you are getting poor performance in The Elder Scrolls Online, it's going to be some other reason. Have you tried turning graphics options down a little?

Or maybe it's just due to your CPU. That "Bottlenecker" site is not actually particularly accurate or useful, since some games will place significantly more demand on the CPU than others.

fbrem2016

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
Im running 1680x1050, do it have to do with VRAM use?

As for ESO, I ran the "unpark CPU" utility, and since then, it got better. I also toned down shadows from ultra to high (it was everything on the maximum before). After a search, I noticed the game have some reported bugs with some textures, no matter what card used.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Its not even an issue.

You dont need your card to use all its vram. Its there to be used if needed. In fact if you use up all the vram, its at that point where you will get performance issues because anything over the top it has to go to system ram which is a LOT slower.

Mar 6, 2019
Its not even an issue.

You dont need your card to use all its vram. Its there to be used if needed. In fact if you use up all the vram, its at that point where you will get performance issues because anything over the top it has to go to system ram which is a LOT slower.

I get textures swapping in and out from HDD instead of saturating 6GBs of VRAM playing modded Fallout 4.