GTX 1060 6gb stuttering/fps drops

Teppo

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Hello, i bought a gtx 1060 6gb around 2 months ago and a 500w power supply and had it fitted, but i am getting massive fps drops and sometimes the games are completely unplayable, i have a i5 6400 8gb ram and temperatures are normal, the games that are unplayable- Black ops 3, infinite warfare, modern warfare remastered, gta is pretty much unplayable the fps drops just kill the experience ive tried different drivers old and new clean install ect, tried different control panel settings but nothing works, it helps but still unbearable, i am considering buying a i7 6700k or do i need more ram ? help asap thanks

Solution

What's your maximum budget? Since you were considering an i7 I assume it's at least £100...

I've found a higher quality unit for not much...
I need more information in order to give you a definite answer. Here's what I need to know:
1) Full system specs. Include make/model of all major components including power supply and motherboard.
2) How many sticks of RAM do you have and are they set up in dual channel mode?
3) What OS are you running? Windows 7, Windows 10, Linux, etc.

Teppo

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

Im a bit of a noob at all this, my system was originally pre built would a model number be okay then give the details of the 2 new parts i installed ? im running windows 10

Make and model along with the changes you have made will be enough information to determine unit quality.

Teppo

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

is that the problem ?

It's a large part of the problem. I'll do some digging and see what I can find in terms of an acceptable quality unit in your country that doesn't carry a ridiculous price. If I had to guess, you're probably going to be going with the EVGA 500W (100-W1-0500-KR). But let me see if I can find any better quality units for around the same price before you go and buy that one.

Teppo

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

thanks man, means alot ! almost bought a i7 !

What's your maximum budget? Since you were considering an i7 I assume it's at least £100...

I've found a higher quality unit for not much more than the EVGA unit. Be Quiet! BN266 Pure Power 9 400w power supply. Seeing as you're running a single 65w CPU and a single 120w graphics card, a good quality power supply of at least 400w should serve you well.

Now that we've got that figured out, let's turn our attention to getting the most out of that CPU of yours. I happen to know a few tricks that will make it feel faster than ever before.

First, let's optimize Windows startup objects:
1) Press Control+Shift+Escape. Task Manager opens. Navigate to the Startup tab. You may have to hit "Show More" across the bottom to view the navigation tabs.
2) Identify which programs need to be running at all times. Anything that says Dell can be disabled unless you actually use it. Anything that says Nvidia should be left alone. The rest can be disabled. You must restart before expecting a boost in performance. You should actually restart, not hard boot. Don't shut down and turn it back on, actually hit the restart button.
3) Understand what you just did. Disabling a startup object does not stop its relative program from working, it simply stops it from always launching at startup and then continuing to run in the background at all times until you either stop it manually or shut down the machine. As a basic rule of computing, the more free hardware resources, the faster the machine is going to respond to user input. By stopping unnecessary programs from running, you've freed up some RAM and lessened the load on your CPU. This means the system will be more responsive and will be able to execute commands faster. Although the speed of your graphics card itself will not change, the speed at which the CPU can feed data to the card will have increased, making it feel like your graphics card has gotten faster.

I cannot guarantee that this method will yield great results until the power supply is replaced. We need to fix the physical problems with the machine before expecting great results from software optimization. This doesn't mean you need to wait for the new unit, you can try optimizing startup now and see if performance improves. If it doesn't, wait for the new power supply and then once again observe whether or not system behavior has improved.

Solution

Teppo

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
thanks a bunch ! i will go for this one (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w-seasonic-m1211-520-evo-full-modular-80-plus-bronze-atx-psu?utm_source=pc%20part%20picker&utm_medium=referral) and try the task manger method .

edit, i tried the task manager and seems ive already disabled everything that needs to be.

Unless you plan on picking it up at a local store, the shipping is going to drive it up above £80. This online store has the same unit for a more friendly price.

Next, uninstall all programs that you no longer use. Revo Uninstaller comes in handy when programs fail to uninstall properly through Settings or the Control Panel.

Always try a normal uninstallation first, only use Revo Uninstaller if a program is giving you problems removing it.

Remember how I said I know a few tricks and then only told you one of them? Let's move on to try some more of them.
1) Download DDU and extract the contents to your desktop.
2) Open the Start Menu, click on the power icon but don't hit any other buttons yet. Hold down Shift while you click on Restart. You'll be presented with an advanced options menu.
3) Select Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, Startup Settings, click Restart at the bottom right.
4) Select to enter Safe Mode (it's usually the 4 key). If 4 on the number pad is not working for you, try the 4 above the R key.
5) Run the copy of DDU that you just extracted onto your Desktop. Remove the current display drivers.
6) Restart normally. Feel free to delete both copies of DDU at this point, it's already done its job.
7) Download GeForce Experience and follow the on-screen instructions. It will want you to create an Nvidia account or link an internet account. I personally created an Nvidia account using my email and I've never received any spam from them.
8) Click on Drivers (should be next to Home at the top left)
9) Follow the on-screen instructions to begin installing the newest drivers for your graphics card.

I cannot guarantee that this method will have any effect, but it's good at fixing possible corrupt drivers. You don't even have to do anything wrong for them to become corrupt, it just happens sometimes.

Teppo

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

Ordered the new psu, will let you know when its arrived and installed.

Teppo

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

So once i install the one you recommended i shouldn't have any fps drops on said games, it ended up costing £75 so i hope it fixes.

Will it fix the issue? Most of it. Steady power delivery is necessary for a stable graphics card. Once you get the new power supply, I would do the following:
1) Open up the application you're using to overclock and set everything back to default. Save changes and restart the system.
2) Run a burn in test like FurMark or Valley Benchmark to make sure GPU thermals are not going to be an issue. If they are, this can be taken care of for less than £5. If you have some compressed air in a can and thermal paste lying around and don't need to go buy any, it will not cost you anything :)

Always make sure your drivers are up to date before assuming your hardware is malfunctioning.

Teppo

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

Ok thanks

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, that old PSU is literal junk. While it's not definite that the PSU was the problem here, a junk PSU always makes diagnosing things more difficult and given it's the heart of a PC, junk ones need to be replaced anyway, so it's always a good place to start.

Teppo

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

Hello again, my new psu is on the way and will be here within the next few days but i think ive encountered a new problem and think it might be psu related, i have been able to play the games i usually could but rust crashed the other day and when ever i play just cause 3 or mwr after around 5 mins both monitors loose connection and wont come back forcing me to turn off, i decided to take the side panel off to check everything was good and noticed my gpu was really hot and the fan is not running, im pretty sure im overheating but this has never happened before and i haven't changed where it is or touched any cables inside of the pc, i was quite suprised the other day i could hear the fans really loud, the loudest id ever heard them go and i was only playing mw2 on 4k, they are normally fine on it but it was only that time, i went on mw2 the past few days and it was fine no noise, but im pretty sure thats because the fan isn't even running, please help i only bought this card recently and hoping the answer is this bad psu i have since i cant afford a new card and cant afford to replace this since have only had it around 2 months :(

edit, the fan is running now, im going to try those games again and see if it happens again, this time with side pannel off

update, this time got a error message saying not enough space, cleared up space on both drives started with side panel off just to check fan and this time it let me play, after some play time i put it back on and it was good no crashes ect

Latest posts