Question GTX 1060 6gb - worth upgrading?

Stizzel

Distinguished
May 16, 2014
Hello, I'm looking to build a new rig and am hitting a snag with the GPU. I know GPU prices have been crazy but wow, it doesnt look like I can upgrade for less than $700.

Currently running an i7 4790 and H81M-E33 MB, so what Im thinking is to switch to a ryzen cpu/mb combo using the extra cash from not buying a gpu to go to maybe a ryzen 9 (was planning on a 5 or a lower end 7) and just keep my current GPU

Thoughts?

oldcracc

Commendable
Apr 10, 2019
If you can get a 3060+ for MSRP or near than it is definitely worth upgrading, but you'll be fine for now with a 1060 6gb.

Also it probably would be a good idea to upgrade your CPU for now and waiting for cards to come back into stock and selling your mobo/cpu. I'm pretty sure older intel motherboards that are compatible with 3rd/4th gen CPUs go for a decent amount on eBay. I'd just pickup whatever Ryzen CPU you can find in stock atm thats within your budget.

Reactions: Stizzel

hang-the-9

Titan
Hello, I'm looking to build a new rig and am hitting a snag with the GPU. I know GPU prices have been crazy but wow, it doesnt look like I can upgrade for less than $700.

Currently running an i7 4790 and H81M-E33 MB, so what Im thinking is to switch to a ryzen cpu/mb combo using the extra cash from not buying a gpu to go to maybe a ryzen 9 (was planning on a 5 or a lower end 7) and just keep my current GPU

Thoughts?
Worth upgrading is all on you, does the 1060 you have not run games well now? Are you looking to run at higher than 1080 or 1440 resolution and want some minimum quality and FPS settings? The CPU you have not is good enough to run even newer games, if you swap the video card, CPU, or both all depend on why you are looking to do it exactly and if the thing you are getting it for would benefit more from CPU or the GPU.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS