GTX 1060 Bottleneck Problems!

youtube.suneru

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Hey tomsHardWare Community,
so as you can guess from the title I'm pretty sure that my new GPU (GTX 1060 3GB) is being bottlenecked by my CPU (i3 4150).

I am at 99% CPU in most games especially titles like BF1, GTA V and even in Overwatch (with all CPU draining settings on the lowest) it's at around 89% with my GPU at around 40-60%

Is there anything I can do to atleast reduce the CPU usage until I can affort an upgrade?

Full spec list:
Asus NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Dual (Overclocked myself to +150 Core Clock and +400 Memory Clock)
Intel i3 4150 3.50GHz (Can't be overclocked, was in PC from beginning)
16GB DDR3 RAM
H81H3-EM2 Motherboard (old Medion Mobo, was in the PC from the beginning)
350w Power Supply (I know, will upgrade soon, was also in the PC when I got it)

If you need any other information be sure to let me know!

In your post you do not mention actual performance, such as framerate. You only mention numbers which are telling you how busy the component is, so for all you know you are getting the exact performance you should be getting.

As far as CPU load goes, minimize the amount of programs Windows loads when it boots up. Make sure no programs, like anti-virus or other system tools, are set to run automatically on a schedule. Don't run other programs while you game. Before you start your game check CPU usage on Task Manager. It should be very close to 0%.

youtube.suneru

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017

Ah yes sorry! This is my first post on here so bare with me! Here is a quick list of the performance I'm getting in most of my games:

Overwatch with High and Very High settigns runs at 60 fps when waiting in lobby or not much, but as soon as we engange a fight it goes down to the low 30's. When setting all the settings to the lowest I average at around 130 fps in Lobby but it still drops to the 30-40's when something happens.

CPU Average: 89%
GPU Average: 50%

GTA V is quite unstable. It is always somewhere between 30-70 fps no matter what I do or what graphic settings I use.

CPU Average 99%
GPU Average 40%

Rainbow Six Siege is absolutely unplayable. It's always somewhere below 40 fps no matter what graphic settings I use. When something happens (Explosions or similiar) it feels like the game is about to crash. It ran better on my 750.

CPU Average 95%
GPU Average 60%

And yes, my CPU load on the Desktop with no Game running is at around 9%.
I usually close all of my programs besides discord, which doesn't take up more than 2% most of the time.

I hope this helped a bit.