GTX 1060 compatibility

ChrisFalcon

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Hello guys

Total noob here.

I'm planning on upgrading my GPU to Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 GAMING 3GB and just wanna check if there would be any compatibility issues. (currently have a MSI GTX 950 2G) Gaming)

Full specs would look like this:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 GAMING 3GB
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (Rev. 4.0)
AMD FX-8320 Overclocked @ 4.2 ghz
16 GB DDR3 @1333 mhz (The motherboard doesn't support running 4 dimms at 1866)
Corsair VS650 650W
HDD
SSD

Will the PSU be enough and will it have the necessary connectors?
Will the MOBO be okay with this GPU despite PCI-Express 2.0 and the GPU being 3.0?

Thank you very much.

Solution
would there be any compatibility issues?

No everything should work fine.

Yes. Though that PSU is one of the worst one Corsair has produces. I highly recommend you DO NOT use it in your build. Refer to THIS link to find a good PSU. A 550W will be more than enough.

Will the MOBO be okay with this GPU despite PCI-Express 2.0 and the GPU being 3.0?

Yes. Testing has shown that there is a bare minimum (if at all) performance decrease due to a 3.0 card being plugged into 2.0 slot.

EDIT: You will be better off with a 6Gb card and upgrading to a Ryzen 1200. You'll be getting a huge performance boost.

Yes, card needs one 8-pin and your PSU has two 6+2 pin
and Yes, 3.0 is backwards compatible

yes it will work but what games do you play and why do you want to change.
For any modern gamin (2017) you should maybe consider something better because the rest of the computer will be holding you back.

But like I say it depends on what you want to do with the pc

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
would there be any compatibility issues?

No everything should work fine.

Yes. Though that PSU is one of the worst one Corsair has produces. I highly recommend you DO NOT use it in your build. Refer to THIS link to find a good PSU. A 550W will be more than enough.

Yes. Testing has shown that there is a bare minimum (if at all) performance decrease due to a 3.0 card being plugged into 2.0 slot.

EDIT: You will be better off with a 6Gb card and upgrading to a Ryzen 1200. You'll be getting a huge performance boost.

Solution