Question GTX 1060 crashes, BSoD, artifacts

Mate_4

Honorable
Jan 3, 2017
Hi,
My GTX 1060 crashed while gaming, now anything that uses the GPU either crash or freeze and wont respond until closed in task bar or cause BSoD and artifacts (pics in the link below).

Windows 10 Pro I5 8600k 3,6Ghz (it was 4,4Ghz for 1+ year without any issue)
MSI GTX 1060 Gaming 6G
32GB Ram (4x8)
Mobo: MSI Z370 Gaming plus
PSU: Coolermaster RS600-ACABM4-WB
1x m.2 250GB SSD, 2x SATA3 (250GB,500GB),1x 1TB HDD

Pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1M7lYZTlcsFUwfAPz_MFgawZp7euNpNVu?usp=sharing
VBIOS: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/185984/msi-gtx1060-6144-160701
Speccy (after fresh boot): http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gNObAjoVLx1IJ5wdzqYYN2f

What i've tried:
-update driver with geforce experience
-BIOS update (removed every OC-> CPU and XMP)
-full clean windows 10 reinstall
-DDU (safe mode), tried different older drivers (511.79, 471.96)
-changed PCI in BIOS from auto to GEN3 -WhoCrashed (see picture) dxgmms2.sys (updated windows, even tried win11 pro since directX is built in)
-cmd: sfc /scannow (no error)
-dxdiag show no error
-CMOS reset with bridge and battery removed
-if GPU is removed everything is fine (i did some HeavenBenchmark and prime95 test)
-temps are monitored with HWMonitor and everything is fine

Edit: the GPU core and memory clock jumps so low (139/405MHz, picture added) i dont think its normal either.

UPDATE (2022.07.08):
-last night i did DDU and installed 472.12 driver without geforce experience, i was able to play some GPU light games like League of legends without anyprobelm but when i tried BF1, PUBG, Rocket League my screen went black and the audio started buzzing, i had to restart the PC although i was able to close Rocket League with alt+f4 everything was back to "normal",
and i dont see artifacts anymore and no BSoD yet.

UPDATE(2022.07.09):
-yesterday my PC did not recognize the GPU (dxdiag throw error code 43) after some RAM testing, i played around with DDU and drivers, back on win10, i tested many combination of Gen1-2-3-Auto PCIe/PCH settings in BIOS, flashed BIOS to older version
-i managed to detect the GPU after DDU --> 472.12 driver installed, BIOS PCIe/PCH Gen set to Auto, boot mode: changed from UEFI/legacy to UEFI, OC settings: turned off Intel turbo, EIST is on, everything else default
-I tried 2 games, first League of Legends - it ran without any problem, then Battlefield1 it was fine until i switched from 60Hz to 144Hz and got a DirectX error. There arent any Nvidia process running, not sure why they don't start but i think its why a few thing "works", i have HWinfo sensor logs added to drive
- i added pictures to the drive about HWinfo64 logs and the new DirectX problem i am facing right now

UPDATE(2022.07.13):
1). I tried the gpu in a differenct PC games still crashing or wont even open
2.) Took the GPU apart repasted and cleaned the pcb with IPA and toothbrush carefully and IT WORKED i was able to play games, did some FurMark test everything worked, but just for a few hours then i heard some coil whine and it started "dying" again.
3.) I'll try to nvflash and a new better quality PSU

Last edited:

Mate_4

Honorable
Jan 3, 2017
@Mate_4

I can't look at your picture of the artifacting, but artifacting usually means the card has a hardware defect and most likely can't be fixed if changing drivers does nothing. You are probably going to have to buy another GPU to replace your GTX 1060.
I change the permission, a lot happened since my post i update it daily, right now there are no artifacts i can even play some games but anything nvidia related process wont run (i have an older driver installed 472.12) and games crash if i change from 60 to 144Hz (DirectX error - picture added to the google drive)