Question GTX 1060 Discolouration

Jul 14, 2020
Plugged in my old GTX 1060 (EVGA SSC 6GB) into my new PSU ( EVGA P2 650W) and got a green checkered line across my screen and there are black discolouration marks on the back of the GPU which I hadn't noticed before. I rebooted a few times, but the artifacting is identical. I'm not too fussed on RMA-ing the card as I have a RTX 2070 Super, but I am worried about plugging that in.

Thinking this is a PSU issue? If it is, then this will be my 3rd bad EVGA PSU (previous two were G2s; one 650W, the other 750W) in 12 months.

This is related to my "SSD failing" post in the "Systems" section.

Plugged in my old GTX 1060 (EVGA SSC 6GB) into my new PSU ( EVGA P2 650W) and got a green checkered line across my screen and there are black discolouration marks on the back of the GPU which I hadn't noticed before. I rebooted a few times, but the artifacting is identical.

Sounds alot like a malfunctioning gpu rather than psu. The EVGA P2 650 is a very good unit and to think that it'd be your fourth malfunctioning psu from EVGA is crazy since all the psu's you have bought are high quality units.

Did you have similar problems with the past psu's or did you have different problems with them?

EDIT: I just read your "SSD failing" post, and i gotta say. Have you tried using DDU to clean install drivers?

When using DDU remember to do it in safe mode.
Here's a tutorial if you haven't used it before.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020
Sounds alot like a malfunctioning gpu rather than psu. The EVGA P2 650 is a very good unit and to think that it'd be your fourth malfunctioning psu from EVGA is crazy since all the psu's you have bought are high quality units.

Did you have similar problems with the past psu's or did you have different problems with them?

EDIT: I just read your "SSD failing" post, and i gotta say. Have you tried using DDU to clean install drivers?

When using DDU remember to do it in safe mode.
Here's a tutorial if you haven't used it before.
Hi, thanks for taking the time to help me. I always use DDU in safe mode. I'm going to plug my PC into a relative's house to rule out bad supply from my home's sockets. Could the supply from the sockets be a possible cause? I'm based in the UK, if that helps narrow things down.

The previous issue was that the system would reset under any kindnof load, even opening a Chrome window or the start menu in Windows. It's a similar issue now. I don't want to believe that EVGA gave me so many bad units and two bad GPUs, but something is going on. A real head-scratcher.

Jul 14, 2020
I should also point out a few things that I neglected to mention: I diagnosed the initial issue with the PSU using HwInfo64, where I noticed that the 12v rail out drop to ~11.4v under load. I also ruled out the motherboard by installing my spare MSI Z270 Gaming M6 AC board, which demonstrated the same issues. I also installed Windows to both SSDs with only one plugged in, and did this with both SSDs. For the memory, I ran Prime95 again but with more emphasis on the memory for two hours, even used one stick at a time.

Reiv_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Hi, thanks for taking the time to help me. I always use DDU in safe mode. I'm going to plug my PC into a relative's house to rule out bad supply from my home's sockets. Could the supply from the sockets be a possible cause? I'm based in the UK, if that helps narrow things down.

The previous issue was that the system would reset under any kindnof load, even opening a Chrome window or the start menu in Windows. It's a similar issue now. I don't want to believe that EVGA gave me so many bad units and two bad GPUs, but something is going on. A real head-scratcher.
Hey just wondering where did u get the UK download link for DDU or what one did you download? im upgrading my gpu too but idk what link to download im in the uk too