[SOLVED] GTX 1060 does not appear in Device Manager, drivers cannot be installed

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
Hi all,

I received an MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB OC Edition for Christmas, but as of yet have been unable to get it to work in my current PC. I currently have a GTX 660 which works perfectly fine but no matter what I have tried to get the 1060 to work, I cannot get it to be recognized in the Device Manager. I have tried both plugging both HDMI and DVI-D cables into the 1060 to receive an output from it, but with no luck (though the monitor does say 'no signal' rather than 'no cable' when I plug into the card). I have also been unable to install drivers for the 1060.

I have flashed my BIOS to update it to the most recent one for my motherboard (I will list my parts below). I have updated windows to the most recent version and updated all the optional drivers. I have tried installing the 1060 drivers both manually and through GeForce Experience, both of which returned errors (manual installation said: 'NVIDIA Installer cannot continue - This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. - This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware', while GeForce Experience simply stated it could not find an NVIDIA graphics card in my PC). The programs provided on the disc that came with the GPU refused to run, saying the platform did not support the program. I tried using Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the drivers of my 660 before reinserting the 1060, but it didn't help. The fans do spin on the GPU, suggesting it is getting power from the PSU and I don't believe the PSU is the problem considering it's 850w.

Components:
GPU I am trying to install: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB OC Edition
Old GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Twin Frozr Edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M S2PV rev 2.0
Monitor: BenQ RL2455
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
PSU: Corsair 850w

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. Fid, 27/02/2014

Solution
I do have the 6-pin connected from the PSU. The GTX 660 is the same, 1 6-pin, so I have it set up correctly in that regard I'm quite sure
It should still display without the driver for it.
If your using the same cable as you were using it's a bad card.
The 1060 can use both legacy and UEFI BIOS so should be no problem their.

Never been on Facebook what is their market place for used products?

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
It must be your motherboard's limitations. I'm looking at it right now on Gigabyte's website, and it's an old motherboard. It also doesn't support Windows 10, and that might be the main problem here.

What OS do you have? 8/7/Vista/XP is supported on the motherboard, and Geforce Experience supports 7, 8, 8.1, 10.

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
It must be your motherboard's limitations. I'm looking at it right now on Gigabyte's website, and it's an old motherboard. It also doesn't support Windows 10, and that might be the main problem here.

What OS do you have? 8/7/Vista/XP is supported on the motherboard, and Geforce Experience supports 7, 8, 8.1, 10.

I'm using Windows 10 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685). So it's potentially a lack of compatibility between the Motherboard and the OS that's causing the problem?

Edit: To clarify, I can use GeForce Experience just fine, as well as install the most recent drivers, when using my GTX 660.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
Nevermind, the motherboard does support Windows 10, I got confused for a second. The motherboard has PCI-Express 3.0 Interface, same goes to the GPU, so I don't really know at this point. I'll look into it further.

Reactions: MLMDota

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
I'm using Windows 10 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685). So it's potentially a lack of compatibility between the Motherboard and the OS that's causing the problem?

Edit: To clarify, I can use GeForce Experience just fine, as well as install the most recent drivers, when using my GTX 660.

What I can say though is that there could be a lot of problems.
  1. Faulty drivers
  2. Incorrect BIOS settings
  3. Internal motherboard problems such as problems with the slot you put the GPU in.
  4. PSU problems
  5. Faulty GPU (which would really suck)

If it's fans spin, that means it is getting power. This marks off the PSU problems. I can't tell which problem is the most likely, but if someone else can find this thread it would be great.

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
What I can say though is that there could be a lot of problems.
  1. Faulty drivers
  2. Incorrect BIOS settings
  3. Internal motherboard problems such as problems with the slot you put the GPU in.
  4. PSU problems
  5. Faulty GPU (which would really suck)
If it's fans spin, that means it is getting power. This marks off the PSU problems. I can't tell which problem is the most likely, but if someone else can find this thread it would be great.

So,
  • Internal motherboard problems such as problems with the slot you put the GPU in. - This one seems unlikely to me because the 660 goes in the same port and works fine. Is it possible the port would be faulty in a way that allows it to accept the 660 but not the 1060?
  • Faulty drivers. - Is there any different source I could get the drivers from other than the disc that came with the GPU, the NVIDIA Manual Driver Search, or GeForce Experience?
  • Incorrect BIOS settings. - This seems possible but I didn't see very much in the BIOS settings related to GPUs, other than a Default Display Port setting, which I did change to the HDMI cable at the time I was using it and it didn't allow me to get a signal from it.
Thanks for the help so far anyway. The GPU is from facebook marketplace, so I think there's a higher possibility it is a faulty GPU than there would be if I got it new but I want to eliminate every other possibility before coming to that conclusion.

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
So,
  • Internal motherboard problems such as problems with the slot you put the GPU in. - This one seems unlikely to me because the 660 goes in the same port and works fine. Is it possible the port would be faulty in a way that allows it to accept the 660 but not the 1060?
  • Faulty drivers. - Is there any different source I could get the drivers from other than the disc that came with the GPU, the NVIDIA Manual Driver Search, or GeForce Experience?
  • Incorrect BIOS settings. - This seems possible but I didn't see very much in the BIOS settings related to GPUs, other than a Default Display Port setting, which I did change to the HDMI cable at the time I was using it and it didn't allow me to get a signal from it.
Thanks for the help so far anyway. The GPU is from facebook marketplace, so I think there's a higher possibility it is a faulty GPU than there would be if I got it new but I want to eliminate every other possibility before coming to that conclusion.
Hold on. You do have a PCI-e connector from the PSU connected to the GPU right? This GPU requires additional power from the PSU, and that goes to most GPUs these days.

Edit: It requires a 6-pin PCI-e connector, which your PSU does have.

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020
Hold on. You do have a PCI-e connector from the PSU connected to the GPU right? This GPU requires additional power from the PSU, and that goes to most GPUs these days.

Edit: It requires a 6-pin PCI-e connector, which your PSU does have.

I do have the 6-pin connected from the PSU. The GTX 660 is the same, 1 6-pin, so I have it set up correctly in that regard I'm quite sure

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
Yeah, is it set up correctly. So, if you are getting additional power, even though it doesn't work, it might just be faulty, but I need to consider the other possibilities too. I'll look into it, but right now it's really looking like it's just a bad GPU to me.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Solution

MLMDota

Prominent
Dec 29, 2020

I haven't used facebook marketplace myself but as far as I know it's pretty similar to ebay except only for private sellers rather than businesses. Thankfully it seems there are buyer protection policies that should allow my family member to get their money back if it's not as described ('working perfectly').