GTX 1060 doesn't show up in device manager and I can't install vga drivers after mobo was switched

Oct 26, 2018
Good morning guys!

So, I had a faulty motherboard problem and had to switch it for a new msi one. However, since I got it yesterday I cannot find my video card on device manager nor in BIOS. The things I've already done:

-First I did a full reset on windows and did a clean up with DDU for reminiscent driver files;
-I tried installing both the specific 1060 driver and geforce experience. For the driver I get that the "driver is not compatible with my windows version" and for geforce experience I get that I need a nvidia graphics card to install;
-I updated Windows to latest build;
-Updated mobo's build to its latest;
-Checked if the 6 pin psu cable was plugged;
-Changed from "IDG" to "PEG" the preferential vga setting on BIOS;
-Tried disabling the integrated graphics on the device manager, than tried to plug the hdmi on to the vga. I get no video signal;

I'm running out of options of my own, does somebody know what can I do? Am I missing something basic here?
Speccy print: https://imgur.com/a/Sj3g4zB

Solution
Nothing to get desperate about. If you know somebody who could borrow you his /her gpu or a pci-e soundcard for a day you could try it in your system.

If it isn't working, then most likely your pci-e slot is damaged.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
You need to have plugged the monitor into the 1060 from powered off, then turn pc on with only the monitor plugged into the 1060.

If it still doesnt work, then re-seat the card in the slot and double check the pci-e power cable at both ends (if its a modular psu)

Can you list your full specs?

Oct 26, 2018
Thanks! But I had already tried that and it didn't work.
The specs: https://imgur.com/a/Sj3g4zB.
VGA is not listed since it's not been detected, it's an ASUS 1060 6GB. Also I've got a corsair bronze 600w psu

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Can you try the card in another system?

Update your motherboard bios?

Things it could potentially be:
1) Pci-e power cables not connected or not working
2) Not seating in the slot correctly, try another pci-e slot? Do you have it in the top x16 slot?
3)Try a different monitor/tv
4) Faulty motherboard and or faulty graphics card

Oct 26, 2018
I already tried the card in my sister's pc and it was fine. As I said in the original post, I already updated the bios and checked the cables. Unfortunately my new mobo only has one pci-e slot. I think it's fine though, since when I snap my vga in, the led turns on steady.

It doesn't look like it's faulty mobo (since the pc turns on just fine with integrated graphics), nor vga since I've tried in my sister's pc and the EZ debug led is off in my motherboard.

I actually got no clue of whats going on

Oct 26, 2018

Nope, just the integrated graphics :(

I would have taken it as a sign it's faulty from Device Manager. That no unknown hardware is seen in Device Manager is strange, especially if show hidden devices is enabled.

Problem is you've confirmed the graphics card works in another PC.

May as well check on the small things and rule those out. Are you using the same display cable when connecting to the motherboard and graphics card? (Getting desperate as most things seem to have been covered.)

Oct 26, 2018

Yes, the exact same one. It is so strange, since everything seems to be ok and yet it doesn't show up.

Serinox

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017
Nothing to get desperate about. If you know somebody who could borrow you his /her gpu or a pci-e soundcard for a day you could try it in your system.

If it isn't working, then most likely your pci-e slot is damaged.

Solution
Oct 26, 2018

Going to try that! Thanks!!

TRENDING THREADS