Question GTX 1060 Dual Fan "rolling hum" resonance video/audio included

So just today I noticed something in my rig was making a similar sound to a HDD (small ticking/spinning). At the same time I realized there was another sound like a rolling hum. Low tone.

I found its the right fan on my GPU which is only 1 month old. I looked around online about the "rattling noise" 1st as I didnt know the rolling hum was coming from the GPU. Someone said to firmly press down on the fan while its off as a possible fix, and it worked for the rattling sound I was hearing. Almost like a bad bearing not sure but its gone.

Then I find the rolling hum is still coming from the GPU. I included a video so listen closely right after the 1st click I set the fan speed to 65% (58-68% is the only time the rolling hum happens but 65% is the loudest I hope you can hear).

The hum is quite loud and I can feel the vibrations from it on the card itself and on the case chasis. Its pretty annoying as the 58-68% range seems to be the sweet spot to cool my gpu when its hitting 70c which it does in most games meaning I have to have a higher fan speed than actually needed being 75% to avoid the rolling hum.

My questions are..
  • is this caused by 1 fan spinning at a small differance in rpm?
  • does the ticking/rattling noise mean its definately a fan issue?
  • Is the any possible way to fix this other than setting my custom fan curve to jump over the 58-68% fan usage range?
Things Ive tried..
  • Cleaning fans
  • Checking all other fans in system to make sure its not them
  • Set custom fan curve with afterburner to skip over the 58-68% range (but still can hear the rolling hum as the fans rev up from 58%-72%)
ANY help on a possible fix or some insight to this would help greatly! Thanks.

* System Specs *

CPU- Ryzen 5 2600
GPU- Gigabyte GTX 1060 3gb
MOBO- MSI Tomahawk b450
RAM- 8gb ddr4 3000mhz 1.35v (2x4gb)
PSU- Corsair cx550
WIN- Windows 10 Home (unactivated)
CASE- Cougar mx330

Last edited:

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
The hum you hear is because the case is resonating like speaker cabinet does. Your case is resonating because one of your fans are vibrating. If you have warranty you can try to RMA the card. If that isn't an option you can see if you can tame the resonance of the case itself by playing around with some of the screws, but I don't think you'll have too much luck on that front.

The hum you hear is because the case is resonating like speaker cabinet does. Your case is resonating because one of your fans are vibrating. If you have warranty you can try to RMA the card. If that isn't an option you can see if you can tame the resonance of the case itself by playing around with some of the screws, but I don't think you'll have too much luck on that front.

I bought a pair of new fans lastnight and they should be in today.

Hopefully it resolves the issue. Its just crazy because I bought the card brand new and already 1 of the fans are bad... just sucks Ive been looking forward to having a nice "stable" system for so long lol.

At least it wasn't your fault. The first time I removed the magnetic dust filter on my case, I hit the lower front fan while it was spinning and knocked a blade off. lol

I got the new fans installed and although the hum is not nearly as bad, I can still hear it at the same speed. I just dont know if its always been there slightly and I never noticed and now that Im SUPER paying attention I can hear it.

I dont get it. Could it possibly be my budget case? Do better cases have less resonance? I have the Cougar mx330 costed about 40$.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Is the entire case making noise or is it just one panel? Place your hand on different panels and see if it gets quieter. If you find a noisy one you can try and tweak it to make it fit better.

TRENDING THREADS