Question gtx 1060 founder's edition going 83c while gaming

sama1921

Honorable
Feb 1, 2018
so i got two questions 1st one is that i have a used gtx 1060 founder's edition card and it's hitting and sometimes sitting on that (83 degree C) mark while playing games but there is no stutter or frame drops or anything games run smoothly. so i wanted to ask will that temp damage my gpu or is it fine because where i am it is summer time with outside temps going to 42c to 45c i have a standard case with one exhaust.

the 2nd question is that my gpu base clock is 1509MHz and boost is 1707MHz but mine is going around 1848MHz but i didn't even overclock it, i'm using it as i got it from the shop so what's that about why the frequency so high. Thank you!

my specs:
Motherboard: Biostar B450Mhp
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb FE
RAM: 16gb DDR4 (2x8gb)
650w Power supply
256SSD
1tb Harddrive
Standard cooler master case

sama1921

Honorable
Feb 1, 2018
You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU and it's age. You should also mention the make and model of your chassis and how many fans you have in said case, not to mention orientation of the fans in your case.
i have a Mars Gaming MPII650 PSU and i have no idea for model of my case to be honest it just says cooler master on front grill sorry. and it has no intake fans just one fan to expel heat out the back of my case.

Disheveled_Human

Prominent
Dec 26, 2022
so i got two questions 1st one is that i have a used gtx 1060 founder's edition card and it's hitting and sometimes sitting on that (83 degree C) mark while playing games but there is no stutter or frame drops or anything games run smoothly. so i wanted to ask will that temp damage my gpu or is it fine because where i am it is summer time with outside temps going to 42c to 45c i have a standard case with one exhaust.

the 2nd question is that my gpu base clock is 1509MHz and boost is 1707MHz but mine is going around 1848MHz but i didn't even overclock it, i'm using it as i got it from the shop so what's that about why the frequency so high. Thank you!

my specs:
Motherboard: Biostar B450Mhp
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb FE
RAM: 16gb DDR4 (2x8gb)
650w Power supply
256SSD
1tb Harddrive
Standard cooler master case
That card is old and has to work full tilt for many games its probably nothing wrong with the card, just do some dusting and if things are really rough put a house fan on the tower.

sama1921

Honorable
Feb 1, 2018
That card is old and has to work full tilt for many games its probably nothing wrong with the card, just do some dusting and if things are really rough put a house fan on the tower.
well there is no issue with it no fps drops or anything, i just read online that you should keep your GPU under 80c and some said it was fine just don't let it go over 90c so i was confused what to follow. that's why i decided to ask that is the temp i am getting okay or too high.

Disheveled_Human

Prominent
Dec 26, 2022
well there is no issue with it no fps drops or anything, i just read online that you should keep your GPU under 80c and some said it was fine just don't let it go over 90c so i was confused what to follow. that's why i decided to ask that is the temp i am getting okay or too high.
It's getting old honestly just run the card into the ground you got your money's worth. My old gtx 580 in 2012 died in 4 years and it was not even under much stress. If you are concerned clean your PC, dust it and make sure you have good ventilation.

May 26, 2023
My "regular" GTX 1060 will hit 83 under harsh load, along with my 2nd modified one.
83c is the default maximum target temperature. If you install MSI Afterburner, you can turn this down. 80c would be good, I have mine set at 78c and no matter what it will not pass this number.|

Also, mine boosts higher than advertised. I am not sure if there is some setting related to that. I have my boost set at 1900 and it likes to go a little over 2000mhz.