[SOLVED] GTX 1060, i7, 16gb can't run more than 40fps on minecraft

jeeven18

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
I've recently just received my MSI gaming laptop, the exact wording of the laptop from where I purchased it is -
MSI GF72 17.3" Intel Core i7 8750H Nvidia Geforce GTX 106 (6gb) Gaming Laptop . (It has GDDR5 16gb ram)

I bought this laptop from amazon, so I had to install the drivers when it got here.The laptop wont seem to budge over 40fps, (on minecraft) this is without any mods, and low settings (optifine didn't help).I've already used DDU to reinstall the drivers, and in the nvidia control panel I've already set the preferred graphics processor to "high performance nvidia processor".

I've ran another game such as fortnite, and was around 70fps mark(low settings).However, a friend of mine with a similar laptop, but with a 1050, was running over 200fps on moderate settings.

I've seen videos of people using similar spec laptops, and getting up to 500fps mark on vanilla minecraft.Why is fps count so low?

Why does buying it from amazon mean you have to install drivers?
You don't have 16GB of GDDR5, GDDR is graphics memory, normal RAM is DDR4 at the moment and will be for next few years at least.
I'm assuming you mean a GTX 1060.
Can you run CPU-Z and GPU-Z and post some images of the first screens?

jeeven18

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
Thank you for taking interest in my thread, and helping me out!

Sorry about the GGDR5 sentence, buying this laptop is my first investment to gaming (away from console)
I just thought when purchasing laptops from amazon everything is wiped clean, my mistake.

@sizzling Yes, my power is plugged in while I was trying to game.

@13thmonkey Here is the screenshots to GPU-Z and CPU-Z
GPU-Z View: https://imgur.com/B7xZGuQ

CPU-Z View: https://imgur.com/HzzZyrJ

Nothing looks out of the ordinary there, my concern (given your amazon comment) was that it was second hand from amazon in some way, and therefore possibly fake?

If you use the GPU sensors tab then you can see the graph of the clock speed etc. and therefore whether the GPU is being used or whether the iGPU is being used. If you have a second screen it's a bit easier.

jeeven18

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
Thank you for the new replies!

@13thmonkey It is classified as renewed, "Amazon Renewed is your trusted destination for shopping quality pre-owned, refurbished and open-box products with peace of mind. Products on Amazon Renewed are tested and certified by qualified suppliers to work and look like new, and are backed by a minimum 90-day supplier warranty and Amazon's return policy. " (I have a one year guarantee.)So is it safe to assume that it's not fake?

I do have a second monitor , are asking me to have GPU-Z up on my second monitor whilst I run a game on my laptop screen and monitor/share the results here?(I can upload a video to youtube showing the results)

@Ketchup79 The sticker on the laptop says "GF72 8RE"

I do have a second monitor , are asking me to have GPU-Z up on my second monitor whilst I run a game on my laptop screen and monitor/share the results here?(I can upload a video to youtube showing the results)
Yep, although something like afterburner would be better (the graphs are bigger) we need to see clockspeed and utilisation for the GPU whilst gaming. You could be running off the iGPU from the CPU, and not your 1060.

jeeven18

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
Thanks again for the replies.

@Ketchup79 I've just installed every driver there on the website, and used DDU before installing the new drivers.But theres now no nvidia control panel (If I right click on an empty space, its not there) I went to to download the nvidia control panel from microsoft store (as it said on the website) but it came up with "Application not compatible with installed driver")Should I use DDU and uninstall this version of nvidia (seems a bit of an older version) and then reinstall GeForce Experience to get the most up to date driver?

@13thmonkey I will have a video made, and uploaded, and posted here by tomorrow, what exactly do you need seen from msi afterburner (exactly which monitor settings should I tick)

jeeven18

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
I think it's been fixed, my fps has increased alot (in videos) I think its because I now have the correct drivers installed, I'm pretty happy with the results, I'm just wondering should I be getting more fps? or is this expected?

@Ketchup79 Yes, I installed both drivers.
Yes the GTX 1060 shows to be in device manager View: https://imgur.com/XyTM6Tj

@13thmonkey Here's the results (If these weren't the graphs you want shown I can make another video)(I also dont really know how to read these graphs, nor do I know what they mean)

minecraft (medium settings)
View: https://youtu.be/IoSKFJME3yw

fortnite (max settings)
View: https://youtu.be/OHidzcnx-mg

jeeven18

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
Tell me about the "fix" process. Did you get drivers from Nvidia, Intel, more from MSI? Your video is showing that your are running higher FPS than your screen will actually show, so I would be very happy with that.
I installed the drivers in the "VGA" tab in the link you sent me, for both intel, and nvidia, that seems to have fixed it.I am quite happy the results, I just saw somebody on youtube running a 1060, i5 but getting 600 fps.However i'll take whatever I can get at this point!

Thank you for your help!

jeeven18

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
When I open MSI Afterburner I'm giving two options for GPU's GeForce GTX 1060 and Intel UHD Graphics 630, obviously I picked the 1060 to run the results.

I'm a bit confused on which settings you want monitored in the "monitoring tab" as there's, GPU1,2,3,4, etc,, and a bunch of other settings, should I just show display on all of them? (I can also turn on shaders which is pretty high demanding as I only get 80fps with them on(for possibly a more accurate result?)?)

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
I've recently just received my MSI gaming laptop, the exact wording of the laptop from where I purchased it is -
MSI GF72 17.3" Intel Core i7 8750H Nvidia Geforce GTX 106 (6gb) Gaming Laptop . (It has GDDR5 16gb ram)

I bought this laptop from amazon, so I had to install the drivers when it got here.The laptop wont seem to budge over 40fps, (on minecraft) this is without any mods, and low settings (optifine didn't help).I've already used DDU to reinstall the drivers, and in the nvidia control panel I've already set the preferred graphics processor to "high performance nvidia processor".

I've ran another game such as fortnite, and was around 70fps mark(low settings).However, a friend of mine with a similar laptop, but with a 1050, was running over 200fps on moderate settings.

I've seen videos of people using similar spec laptops, and getting up to 500fps mark on vanilla minecraft.Why is fps count so low?

Thats not right, I was getting over 250fps on a 1070.