[SOLVED] GTX 1060, i7, 16gb can't run more than 40fps on minecraft

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jeeven18

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
I've recently just received my MSI gaming laptop, the exact wording of the laptop from where I purchased it is -
MSI GF72 17.3" Intel Core i7 8750H Nvidia Geforce GTX 106 (6gb) Gaming Laptop . (It has GDDR5 16gb ram)

I bought this laptop from amazon, so I had to install the drivers when it got here.The laptop wont seem to budge over 40fps, (on minecraft) this is without any mods, and low settings (optifine didn't help).I've already used DDU to reinstall the drivers, and in the nvidia control panel I've already set the preferred graphics processor to "high performance nvidia processor".

I've ran another game such as fortnite, and was around 70fps mark(low settings).However, a friend of mine with a similar laptop, but with a 1050, was running over 200fps on moderate settings.

I've seen videos of people using similar spec laptops, and getting up to 500fps mark on vanilla minecraft.Why is fps count so low?