Question GTX 1060 Not Detected by Motherboard

Apr 15, 2019
Hey guys. I've been trying many different ways to get my GTX 1060 recognized by my computer.

Specs:
Intel i5 6600k
2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 2400
Corsair CX550M
ZOTAC GTX 1060 3GB
Seagate Hard Drive taken from a previous Lenovo computer
Arctic Pro 7 CPU Cooler
Msi B250m Gaming Pro Motherboard
Windows 10 Pro Inactivated

I've tried to
Install Nvidia drivers but it says that there is no Nvidia hardware on my computer
Check to see if the chords are plugged in correctly and they are
Check the device manager which doesn't register my graphics card
Flash the bios
Switch the motherboard out with a previous Asrock b250m I originally purchased
Tested the GPU on a friend's computer which detected it
Tested his GPU on my computer which did not detect it
Uninstall all drivers in Nvidia, AMD, and Intel with DDU
Plug in the hdmi cord to the graphics card but there is no display

I'm really at a loss on what to do and I was wondering if anybody had a solution

There is definitely some problem with YOUR current system. Because, if the card is being detected on your friend's PC, then the GPU should be fine, IMO. From where did you purchase the card ? Was it brand new, or a used one ?

Also, how OLD is your current PSU, Corsair CX550M ? Do you have the latest BIOS of your motherboard ? Are you booting in UEFI or LEGACY Mode ? Can you boot your PC by using the mobo's integrated graphics ?

Is the GPU getting power, when you boot your PC ? Also, try changing the power/display cables, if need be.

Last edited:

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
If your mobo fails to see your GPU, then there's really no use to try install drivers. That won't do anything. Your card needs to be detected from the point when you switch the PC on (obviously being that your screen is connected to the card).
Have you tried disabling your integrated Intel GPU in the BIOS? The setting should be set towards your GPU.
Does the card power on (fans spinning) when you switch on the PC?
Do you have the card running in the top PCIe slot?
Have you tried connecting another power cable to your GPU?
Is the GPU properly seated in the PCIe slot? Check alignment.

I once had an issue with 2 AMD cards running crossfire and the display failed to show/detect from booting up. A BIOS reset fixed the issue for me. You could try that as well.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019
If your mobo fails to see your GPU, then there's really no use to try install drivers. That won't do anything. Your card needs to be detected from the point when you switch the PC on (obviously being that your screen is connected to the card).
Have you tried disabling your integrated Intel GPU in the BIOS? The setting should be set towards your GPU.
Does the card power on (fans spinning) when you switch on the PC?
Do you have the card running in the top PCIe slot?
Have you tried connecting another power cable to your GPU?
Is the GPU properly seated in the PCIe slot? Check alignment.

I once had an issue with 2 AMD cards running crossfire and the display failed to show/detect from booting up. A BIOS reset fixed the issue for me. You could try that as well.

The card powers on and the fans spin. There was a peg option but no pcie option in the bios so that's what I activated. I'll check the alignment and the power cable when I get home and the Mobo does display so I think the hdmi cable is working properly. I just don't understand why it failed two different graphics card with both my new and old motherboards. Do ylu think I might have a psu issue?