Jul 19, 2016
am Indian user few months back started building my pc
CPU : FX 8350
MOBO : MSI 970 Gaming
RAM : Kingston HyperX 1600mhz 8GBx2
PSU : Seasonic 750W KM3

1.which is best for me ?
2.do my spec support Xfire or not ??

in india rx 480 8gb only available at 27k rupees (= 402USD )
rx 480 customized models not available yet
gtx 1060 custom models only available at 25-30k rupees (= 372-446USD)

am not good at overclocking , but i will

really sorry for bad english....

Solution
The only facts are the 1060 is better in the majority of games out today and those where Vulkan is used it's not that far behind the 480. Anything about what will be better in the future is pure speculation, people a few years back where saying the FX8xxx series would be better in future games than an i5, well the future is here and they have been proved wrong as Intel's lead in games has just continued to grow.

Both the 480 & 1060 are new and we should see improvements from both as the drivers become more mature. However I have found Nvidia faster at responding to new games with driver updates and that is worth something to me, if I've bought the latest game I just want to get on and play it properly.

Either would be a good choice...

Gilbertify

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Your english is fine. Better than most native english speakers here in the states!

In my opinion, the 1060 is the cheapest, and in benchmarks it seems to significantly outperform the 480 in everything besides DOOM when Vulkan API is utilized.

If you don't like Nvidia cards, get a 480, but only get custom models! Reference aren't as good performance-wise.

ikaz

Distinguished
Well going forward any game that uses Vulkan and/or DX12 seems (at least by current benchmarks) to run way better on RX480 it a year from now things could look a bit different (or not) however that being said I would pick the cheaper 1060 (372) I don't think the RX 480 is worth a premium over a 1060 and again I would wait for non reference version of the RX 480 but we don't know what those will cost.

XiPH3R

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2014

From my experience what i have seen, AMD cards tend to run better on FX processors than Nvidia cards do. Plus as Dx12 and Vulkan are much more multi threaded , the rx 480 will be the better choice if you find one on cheap. IMO rather than going for a 8gb rx 480, go for a 4gb Model. Those are priced at 22-23k INR, and perform great for the money

The only facts are the 1060 is better in the majority of games out today and those where Vulkan is used it's not that far behind the 480. Anything about what will be better in the future is pure speculation, people a few years back where saying the FX8xxx series would be better in future games than an i5, well the future is here and they have been proved wrong as Intel's lead in games has just continued to grow.

Both the 480 & 1060 are new and we should see improvements from both as the drivers become more mature. However I have found Nvidia faster at responding to new games with driver updates and that is worth something to me, if I've bought the latest game I just want to get on and play it properly.

Either would be a good choice but I would go 1060

Edit: The 480 does not have much headroom and is poor for overclocking, has anyone seen a review on how well the 1060 overclocks yet?

Solution

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Really? ive always seen the opposite (nvidia cards working better with amd cpus)

XiPH3R

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2014

Yes your Motherboard is fully Crossfire/SLI compatible

dimster123

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
If you want a good relative performance at this moment I suggest you go for gtx 1060. An Rx 480 and fx 8350 combo will possibly bottleneck also in the future dx11 AAA titles. If you are planning to update your cpu you could consider buying an rx 480 to get the most of it. Up to this moment I see that amd gpus are more future proof than Nvidia gpus.

Either way if you stay with fx 8350, I believe even when dx12 becomes a mainstream the performance will be as having a gtx 1060 and fx 8350 combo on dx12.

new_user_help

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

so my cpu and psu cannot handle 2x RX 480 ?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

your cpu is weak avoid crossfire

a 1060 is about max it can handle if overclocked, and even then it will bottleneck in cpu bound situations

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

amd gpu's work best with intel cpu's

and nvidia gpu's help amd cpu's perform better

PatrioticPickle

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015

I think you have that the wrong way around. AMD Cards perform worse with a FX processor. Due to the way the AMD drivers are made, AMD GPUs have a higher CPU overhead than Nvidia, this means processors with higher single threaded performance perform better with AMD cards. And seeing how FX cpus have shocking single threaded performance, you will get better performance with Intel.

Check this article out, I know its a bit old but nothing has changed since. http://www.overclock.net/t/1495236/amd-vs-nvidia-cpu-overhead

Note how the 2 cards perform closer when using the Intel CPU, then when the AMD CPu is used the Nvidia card pulls ahead

I'm in the same boat as the OP, I too own a 8350. But I think I will be getting a 1060 mainly due to this higher CPU overhead. (Plus the better overclocking, lower temps, lower power draw and better performance in majority of titles :p )

twrig144

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

The reason that there is no SLI support on the 1060 is because the price of 2 1060's is pretty much the same as buying a 1070 or higher. If you want to get a dual card system then fine but you risk compatibility issues going into the future as developers move away from SLI support. You would be better off knowing that a single 1070 is going to run more reliably and cost the same as two 1060's that may bot even work in some games (if they even has SLI support).