GTX 1060 or rx 580 OC?

mcgge1360

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
Deciding on a new GPU. From what I see, the 1060 and the rx 580 are about the same in power, with the 1060 pulling ahed just a bit. The stock OC on the 580 will probably fill in that small gap in performance. The 580 is about $50 CAD (37.50 USD) more expensive than the 1060, but I was thinking of using it for some passive income mining. The 1060 shows 35 USD/month and the 580 shows 48USD/month, so it's better in that sense. (probably A bit more too, because of the stock OC)

Thoughts? I run at 4240x1024p for games (3 monitors)

I only have a 450W PSU, but I was thinking of upgrading anyways.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The summary for Best GPUs at Tom's Hardware puts the RX580 as being slightly better than the GTX 1060 6GB.

However, the RX580 is more expensive currently, and uses more power.

That said, the resolution you're running is definitely going to tax either one of those cards. They're both really best suited for 1920x1080 @ 60Hz/fps with max details. Do you really run games spread across the entire resolution of the 3 monitors?

I would think that the extreme aspect ratio might cause issues....

Both GPUs trade blows depending on game and DX game version. In DX11, overall the 1060 comes out on top; in DX12, the 580. However, overall the 580 in my opinion will offer more longevity for two reasons: 1), it has a 256-bit memory bus vs. the 128-bit of the 1060, and 2) it has 8GB VRAM vs. 6GB for the 1060. Also history has shown that AMD GPUs generally have longer lives in support than Nvidia GPUs when it comes to game performance. Just look at how far the 2GB GTX 680 has fallen flat vs. the R7 280x for example. This is especially the case in higher resolutions and quality settings where the 1060 will start choking on its own narrow bus bandwidth.

Regarding "passive" mining, don't waste power and card wear and tear doing that. You will not get any return on investment at that level. And yes, as King said above, your resolution setup is going to push you into the 40s in FPS with a single 580 at best. See case exhibit A for Battlefield 1/DX12 as the resolution goes higher for each GPU:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asrock_phantom_gaming_x_radeon_rx580_8g_oc_review,13.html

mcgge1360

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017

If you look at the resolution, it's really like using 2 1080p monitors, I just don't have a bar in the middle on my game. Honestly I don't care much about "ultra" settings, as there isn't a crazy amount of extra detail. A while back there was, but now they're accpetable.

1060 fits the 450w, i think 450w is a bit tight.

if you do ming with rx 580, i would suggest getting a rx580 with dual bios.
rx580 works best with a modified bios to reduce power consumption (but not so good for gaming), the dual switch allows you to change the vbios quicker between gaming/mining.

Based on reviews I've seen, an RX 580 is perhaps slightly faster on average, though it depends on the game, and in practice both cards should offer a very similar level of performance. A 1060 will be somewhat more power efficient though, and in turn put out less heat and cost a bit less to operate, and might be a better fit for your existing power supply. Personally, at least as far as gaming goes, I wouldn't spend more on a 580 than a 1060 6GB, unless perhaps I was pairing it with a FreeSync Display.

As for mining, I'm not really into that, but it seems payouts have been on a downward trend for months. I'm not sure that there will be a whole lot of money to be made there, and it's likely that it could put added wear on components.

And that resolution is relatively high, working out to more than 1440p in terms of total pixels. For many newer games at high settings, you might want to look at a faster card, like a 1070. Or perhaps wait until sometime later this year, when there will likely be a successor to the 1060 coming out, that I suspect should offer 1070-level performance at a lower price point. The current graphics card designs from AMD and Nvidia are around two years old at this point, and they would likely be priced a fair amount lower right now if it weren't for strong mining demand earlier in the year resulting in shortages. Technically, the 580 came out a year ago, but it's pretty much just a higher-clocked minor revision of the 480. It was possible to get RX 480s for well under US $200 a little over a year ago.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Wait, I think I'm missing something - two 1080p monitors would be 3840 x 1080, and three would be 5760 x 1080.

I'm not sure where the 4240 part came from . . .

I suspect they may have three 1280x1024 screens, with an extra 200 pixels between each panel for bezel compensation.