Question GTX 1060 ports stopped working

rogersjosh10

Commendable
Jun 15, 2018
Hey all,

A couple months ago my GTX 1060 6GB stopped allowing me to have a 2nd monitor ive tried using both HMDI ports and the Display Ports using a Hdmi to DP adapter
Im reinstalling my graphics drivers as a fresh install as I am typing this but I dont have much faith in to right now
I have tried multiple wires and other monitors to try resolve this.

Is there a way I can try to see if they have been disabled somehow?

Thanks,

Josh

edit: specs
Intel i5-6400
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB Ram
2 1 Tb HDD

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

No pop-up windows or errors?

And both monitors work but only if one is connected and has been tested using both HDMI and DP - correct?

Do you have other known working video cables (both HDMI and DP) to swap in?

Use "WIN" + "I" > System > Display to check the current multiple display settings.

Be wary of the HDMI to DP adapter. Set up connections to prove that all (GPU, monitors, cables) are working as they individually should be and then re-insert the adapter. Determine if the problem reoccurs.

rogersjosh10

Commendable
Jun 15, 2018
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

No pop-up windows or errors?

And both monitors work but only if one is connected and has been tested using both HDMI and DP - correct?

Do you have other known working video cables (both HDMI and DP) to swap in?

Use "WIN" + "I" > System > Display to check the current multiple display settings.

Be wary of the HDMI to DP adapter. Set up connections to prove that all (GPU, monitors, cables) are working as they individually should be and then re-insert the adapter. Determine if the problem reoccurs.

Updated Main post

1) No pop up errors of the sort
2)1 Monitor Tested on both HDMI ports and using the adapter for the one monitor on the DP ports (just tested 2nd monitor and it doesnt work on the HDMI port that works?)
3)Not at the moment but i tested the HDMI cable on my Xbox to the tv and that works perfectly fine
4)No 2nd monitor is showing up and it wont detect my second display at all
5)I only bought the adapter to test see if the DP would work or it was just the HDMI slots
There is a DVI port but ive not had a wire like that for years

I used to have a mini TV/dvd player connected to my pc and since unplugging it thats when it all stopped working.
Device manger says my graphics card is working fine no yellow triangle etc

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I used to have a mini TV/dvd player connected to my pc and since unplugging it thats when it all stopped working".

How is/was the mini TV/dvd player connected: USB?

Did you uninstall the drivers after removing the mini TV/dvd player?

Look in Task Manager (Startup) and Process Explorer to determine if there is some remaining software launching and running with respect to the mini TV/dvd.

Try the Windows built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Another option is to run "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Premise being that physically removing the mini TV/dvd player has left Windows floundering trying to find it.

Or Windows may simply be accepting some software input that the mini TV/dvd still exists and ties up the video connections/options accordingly.

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitory. Objective is to determine what Windows is doing or may working with.

rogersjosh10

Commendable
Jun 15, 2018
The dvd monitor was essentially build in to the TV. I don't know what drivers to look for in relation to the dvd player.
I don't even know if there were any drivers installed in the first place.
If so how would I go about finding them if there is
I'll have to have a proper later today and see if I'm missing anything with fresh eyes.

P.s the TV/dvd player had a HDMI port for video but had a dvd player on the side so there was no way to unplug it.

edit: sfc /scannow didnt work (windows resource protection(WRP from now on) could not complete this tast)
i did a disk check on my C drive using cmd(googled this)
waiting for the verification process atm (will edit with further more info)

edit 2: Same sfc /scannow error WRP could not perform the requested operation.(Verification stuck at 15% again)
edit 3: tried in safe mode same issue
edit 4: which trouble shooting option should i choose?

also would a full re-install of windows sort the possible issue immediately?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What edition and version of Windows is installed?

Reading back: do the monitorsnow work individually. First without the adapter and then with the adapter?

As the issue has continued, take a look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events regarding GPUs/video.

rogersjosh10

Commendable
Jun 15, 2018
What edition and version of Windows is installed?

Reading back: do the monitorsnow work individually. First without the adapter and then with the adapter?

As the issue has continued, take a look in Reliability History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events regarding GPUs/video.
  1. May 2004 Version
  2. Only 1 HDMI port is working still (DP ports not working either)
  3. Where would I go about looking for this?

Ralston18

Titan
The Mini TV/DVD player has not been connected to the reinstalled Windows PC - correct?

What make and model Monitors are you using?

Refer to the respective monitor User Guides/Manuals to verify that the monitor screen menus are set to the intended incoming video port.

Also visit the monitor's manufacturer's website to determine if there are specific monitor drivers available versus using generic monitor drivers.

rogersjosh10

Commendable
Jun 15, 2018
The Mini TV/DVD player has not been connected to the reinstalled Windows PC - correct?

What make and model Monitors are you using?

Refer to the respective monitor User Guides/Manuals to verify that the monitor screen menus are set to the intended incoming video port.

Also visit the monitor's manufacturer's website to determine if there are specific monitor drivers available versus using generic monitor drivers.

my main monitor is a ProLite E2008HDS (i use vga to hdmi cable) have done for years
the mini tv/dvdplayer ive left unplugged
at this point id be happy for my main monitor to be detected on both hdmi ports
(i no longer have the manual for the monitor(its kinda old so i dont know where to find the drivers as the website for the monitor doesnt seem to have them))