Gtx 1060 safe temp

Nibbag

Prominent
May 19, 2017
Hello i just got my new pc with nvidia gtx 1060 and i get around 80c while playing games etc. Overwatch and bf4. What is the safe temp for this gpu, is it safe to cap the temp to around 65c? Thank you!

Solution
The safe temp stated by the Nvidia specs are 83 degrees celsius when throttling starts. The card will stop working at 92 degrees celsius to prevent any damage. Usually those chips can withstand 100+ degrees before any damage so you should be safe. If you like to do crypto currency mining or mashine learning, set the max temp (point where the software throttles down to cool the chip) to 82 degrees and you should always have full power. If you like a low noise gaming experience, play with the tempature curve in tools like MSI Afterburner while you stress your gpu with a decent benchmark (Heaven for example). The lowest possible noise should hold jour gpu under full load at 80 degrees after burning in for an hour.
Don't be afraid, you...
If you play high demanding GPU titles then is considered normal. 65 C is low if you consider that most 1060 start using their fans after 60C and before that is just passive cooling.
What is the brand and model of your GPU? (Asus, MSI, EVGA and armor/Strix/SSC etc)

Lindworm

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
The safe temp stated by the Nvidia specs are 83 degrees celsius when throttling starts. The card will stop working at 92 degrees celsius to prevent any damage. Usually those chips can withstand 100+ degrees before any damage so you should be safe. If you like to do crypto currency mining or mashine learning, set the max temp (point where the software throttles down to cool the chip) to 82 degrees and you should always have full power. If you like a low noise gaming experience, play with the tempature curve in tools like MSI Afterburner while you stress your gpu with a decent benchmark (Heaven for example). The lowest possible noise should hold jour gpu under full load at 80 degrees after burning in for an hour.
Don't be afraid, you can't damage the card at all even with overclocking (until to the point where you start tinkering with the board) and there is no such thing as chip degredation. Only overheat wich the card self protects against.

Hope that helped
Mirco

Solution

gowmatin

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
i have MSI GS73Vr with core i7-7700hq & GTX1060. i have the same problem however my Gpu temp rarely reaches the 80 degree celcius but the CPU usually gets between 88-95 degree. i put my both built in fans & cooling masters fans to the highest but the Cpu still stay at 86-93. my Cpu idle temp is 45-50.

litvinalfred

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
Try switching out your thermal paste and getting a better cpu cooler unless you already have a good one

engineer_up66

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
Hi there. I had the same problem.at first i tought it might be the cooling system but the i found out the voltage og cpu core is high even not overcloching.so in the bios i change the cpu core voltage from auto to adaptive and after that i goy 40 to 60 c in haevy games and 65 to 70 gpu temp.i hope it helps u.tnx

engineer_up66

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
Hi there. I had the same problem.at first i tought it might be the cooling system but the i found out the voltage og cpu core is high even not overcloching.so in the bios i change the cpu core voltage from auto to adaptive and after that i goy 40 to 60 c in haevy games and 65 to 70 gpu temp.i hope it helps u.tnx

engineer_up66

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017