Question GTX 1060 single ongoing beep, stuck on banner screen after installing.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
So I finally had the courage to try out a used GTX 1060 3gb in my old Lenovo H430 PC. It looked like it was going to be okay until... Freeze up on Lenovo logo banner screen. This is accompanied by a single beep that occurs only after the banner screen appears, and beeps once approximately I would guess every 10-15 seconds ongoing.

The lights and fans come on the GPU, and no artifacting on the screen, but again single beep every 10-15 seconds stuck Lenovo banner screen. I let the PC set awhile, and eventually the Lenovo screen goes blank. I did some research and UEFI could be an issue, but I cannot even boot to BIOS. With the installed HDD running Windows 7 ultimate I had to change from SATA to IDE to get this PC to boot due to it being a donor drive from a different PC. I did however have a GTX 560 running in this same PC as is with no issues. I'm hoping the GPU is not bad and that somehow it's a fix in BIOS, and then I'll be able to try to install new drivers. GTX 560 drivers still installed. Oh well going about this backwards I guess.

This PC is mainly for testing used components I get, etc.

Setup is:

Lenovo H430. Core i3 2120
Antec Earthwatts 500 80 bronze
Single DVD
4gb x2 DDR3 ram

Thanks for taking the time to check this out.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it requires a single 8 pin on this 1060 and it is connected. I cannot get online with this PC or even boot to BIOS. It states either hitting F1 or F2, but it just stays locked on Lenovo banner screen.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
So I tried hitting F1, F2, even F8 and I think F11 after restarting PC. No matter what it goes straight to the Lenovo banner screen and does a steady single beep approximately every 10-15 seconds. After approx 3-5 minutes of this the screen goes black, and if I remember right seems to go into sleep or standby type mode. I cannot get this PC to boot even into BIOS.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Have not tried that yet. The drivers for the GTX 560 should still be installed so I will most likely put the 560 back in. I'm wondering if the 1060 needs UEFI to operate. I wanted to get into the BIOS before removing the 1060 to see if something needed tweaking.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
A couple of things I would mention.

Being a prebuilt it could have a limited line of graphics cards that were options from the manufacturer. I have only experienced this with Dell, but not saying Lenovo would be above it.

The second aspect is that the 2nd gen i3 in this system isn't going to do you any favors for gaming with much of any card unless really old potato system requirements. Even the 2600 variants are struggling these days where it comes to 1080p gaming.

If you have the option available check with someone you know or a local mom and pop shop, if available, to have them check the 1060 in case there is a return period or such protection.

Reactions: silversmithy

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Okay, thanks. I just did a little more research and found someone who ran into the same issue but they had a 560ti upgrading to a 1060. It appears they needed to update the BIOS. No warranty on the card as I bought used. The issue that others have run into is that it appears the BIOS update from the Lenovo website shows BIOS update only for Windows 7 32 bit, and I'm running 7 ultimate 64 bit. Not sure what to do at this point. This PC is strictly going to be used for testing components I may get from time to time, but may have to find something else.

Last edited: