Gtx 1060 stuck at bios

lukek756

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Hi all. Have just purchased a gtx 1060 and am having a few problems. The card is plugged in fine and everything is connected but I can't get past bios into windows and can't access the software on disk to install drivers. The booklet said the auto run screen will be displayed after running disk but getting nothing. Tried plugging my old sapphire r9 280x back in to uninstall old drivers but now I cant get a display on that either. If I plug the dvi into my 1060 I get a display and get a screen with white dashes pop up but then takes me straight back to the bios, weirdly can't get onboard display with the 1060, but can still get onboard display when my 280x is connected. Quite confused if I'm honest and would appreciate a few steps I could take into fixing this. Thanks

Solution
When you say you cannot get past the bios Luke.

Are you getting a bios display screen from the Gtx 1060 card when it is placed in the pci-e card slot of your motherboard and the monitor cable is connected to the video output ports of the Gtx 1060 card. ?

If the answer is yes, do you have at any point in the top left of the display screen if you have video output.
a single white underscore line that is blinking ?

Sinistercr0c

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
If you've gone from AMD to Nvidia without uninstalling the drivers you're guaranteed to get issues. When you say 'onboard display' I assume you mean an on motherboard VGA port? If so, re-install your AMD card, connect to your onboard VGA port, go into BIOS nd make sure the onboard port is selected then boot into windows and un-install your AMD drivers, Then remove the AMD card, install your GTX1060, boot into BIOS and make sure you switch the relevant BIOS option from onboard VGA to your PCI-E card.

hopefully you will boot into windows and you can install the Nvidia drivers from there on.

When you say you cannot get past the bios Luke.

Are you getting a bios display screen from the Gtx 1060 card when it is placed in the pci-e card slot of your motherboard and the monitor cable is connected to the video output ports of the Gtx 1060 card. ?

If the answer is yes, do you have at any point in the top left of the display screen if you have video output.
a single white underscore line that is blinking ?

Solution
It says the board is looking for a boot able device, such as a hard disk drive or a SSD drive with windows Os installed on it.

It means you have not selected the correct mode for your Sata interface ports of the motherboard in the bios settings.

Set the Sata port mode to Ahci mode, if it is set to Sata or any other mode.

Go to the booting section of devices in your bios, set the first device to be the one with windows os installed on it.
From a list of 1 to 6.

Enable CSM mode in the bios, and set the hardware booting order to Legacy/ Uefi mode.
Scroll down the boot selection of devices bios menu page, you should see two more entries for boot able devices.

for the 1. setting, again select the hard disk or SSD drive that contains the windows os installation on it.

Save all of the changes before you exit the bios Luke.

It should then begin to boot windows instead of looping back to the bios setup.

Daggeroth

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Just throwing it out there. My monitor died. bought an el cheapo 720p. my pc started sticking on the bios splash screen. After 2 minutes it booted normally.If your GPU is too beefy for your mhz on the tv. Or is it refresh rate? If that's the issue. Don't make my mistake and overkill the GPU or atleast get a 1368 monitor. I hope that helped someone.