GTX 1060 usage low, massive fps drops

Mar 9, 2018
I have been having issues with my system recently. For a while, the GPU would not down clock when not in use and stuttering was occurring occasionally. However, in my attempts to remedy the issues, I have come across something far worse. My GPU usage will go down to 60% in game and my frame rates will tank. Going from the high 80s to 30. It may jump back up to 60 momentarily, but then lurches right back down. My cpu isn't issue, as I've run 24hr prime tests to check its status (i7 8700k at stock). I have 16gb of 3000 mhz ram. The mother board is an Gigabyte gaming 5 Z370. The PSU is an 850W EVGA G2. Plenty of air flow, as the temps never exceed 70, usually peaking in the mid 60's on the GPU. The CPU is cooled by a Corsair H100i V2 in push exhausting from the top of the case. Games tested, Just Cause 3, Crysis 3, and Battlefield 1. None run properly, even at low settings 1080p. The GPU isn't overclocked.

Solution
Mar 9, 2018

The PerfCap does show voltage and power as possible causes. Going to look into more tomorrow. Thank you

Mar 9, 2018

The GPU appears to be dropping as a result of it returning to idel during those drops. What is most odd, is that the v-sync option may be causing the issues, as, when the GPU is pegged to 99% usage, the drops don't occur. The best example being Unigine Valley never skipping a beat, but Crysis 3 dropping to sub 30 fps (60+ with v-sync disabled and GPU usage at 99%).

Yash_rc

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017

go to nvidia control panel and set power option to prefer maximum performance.... done...

Mar 9, 2018

Thank you for your response. I had attempted that, but it failed to solve the issue. In fact, for some unknown reason, going from maximum performance to adaptive helped to reduce the issue. I ultimately solved the problem by reinstalling windows. Something in the latest update must have messed with my GPU or motherboard.Since then, I've not had the problems.

Solution

Yash_rc

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017

glad to hear its best to reinstall window if you dont know whats the issue.. speaking from experience xd