Question GTX 1060 with older HW ?

Jul 18, 2022
Hi,

I got good offer to buying GTX 1060 to little upgrade my old PC (not a hard core gamer, so let's say CS:GO on 70 FPS would be great :) )
The main issue is that my other HW is pretty old this time, but I don't want to throw it away.

My config
MB - only PCI Express x16 slot v. 2.0
CPU - Intel i7 920 ( Bloomfield - LGA1366 ) - overclocked to 3.7 GHz

I know, that PCI 2.0 will be OK with this card (if it's like a 5% drop instead of using PCI 3.0, it"s fine). But what about the CPU ?
How significant can be the bottleneck of this setup? Is it a bad idea to upgrade this setup this way?

Thanks

Hi,

I got good offer to buying GTX 1060 to little upgrade my old PC (not a hard core gamer, so let's say CS:GO on 70 FPS would be great :) )
The main issue is that my other HW is pretty old this time, but I don't want to throw it away.

My config
MB - only PCI Express x16 slot v. 2.0
CPU - Intel i7 920 ( Bloomfield - LGA1366 ) - overclocked to 3.7 GHz

I know, that PCI 2.0 will be OK with this card (if it's like a 5% drop instead of using PCI 3.0, it"s fine). But what about the CPU ?
How significant can be the bottleneck of this setup? Is it a bad idea to upgrade this setup this way?

Thanks

if it's from your friend, then I would ask to test it in your system first to see if it boots before paying for it. Can't see how they'd have an issue with that.

Some older systems without a UEFI Bios, can sometimes prevent GTX1xxx cards from working.

Make sure your bios is up to date as it can be. Then test the GPU to ensure it works. It's very hit and miss which systems from that era work with more modern cards.